Bassett Hounds

http://

Found this on Youtube and really enjoyed it, thought I'd share! Surely some of the best scenting hounds about! My favourite part is at around 7mins 50 secs onwards when they are going full cry down the concrete road for best part of half a mile, take a fair hound to do that!!

Enjoy!

Very good, it's what we call macadam dogs.

These hounds are Bruno du Jura. It isn't like basset hounds.

post-80985-0-10737000-1361302775.jpg

The basset hound was used for hunting with shotguns. Basset have a very good nose and very strong voice. But you can't catch an hare with a pack of basset hounds, too slow.

post-80985-0-87866500-1361303295.jpg
  • Like 1

Very good, it's what we call macadam dogs.
These hounds are Bruno du Jura. It isn't like basset hounds.
The basset hound was used for hunting with shotguns. Basset have a very good nose and very strong voice. But you can't catch an hare with a pack of basset hounds, too slow.

That bassett you've put up is a KC type isn't it though? The CA put some pics of bassett hounds up on their facebook page the other week, much more athletic than the example you've put up, I'll see if I can find it.

In France we have different types of bassets.

"Basset hound" is one of them, the dog on your pic may be a "basset artesien normand" according to our types.

Sometimes we have two types of dogs under the same name ; a basset type and a big one.

For example, "basset bleu de gascogne" (35 cm) and "grand bleu de gascogne" (70 cm).

post-80985-0-21316700-1361469226.jpg

post-80985-0-46138800-1361470008.jpg

An other example, "basset fauve de bretagne" and "griffon fauve de bretagne"

post-80985-0-05670800-1361469761.jpg

post-80985-0-42380100-1361469789.jpg
  • Like 2

Hi Rob,

I think this may be the photo you where talking about.

TheWesterbyinthesnow-2_zpsd274dbf8.jpg

They are the Westerby Bassets, which are ‘English Bassets’.

The Basset was originally imported from France, but has been out-crossed with harrier, beagle and even fell hound over the years to produce a more athletic hound with great scenting ability, stamina, voice and drive.

• Like 4

Hi Rob,

I think this may be the photo you where talking about.

TheWesterbyinthesnow-2_zpsd274dbf8.jpg

They are the Westerby Bassets, which are ‘English Bassets’.

The Basset was originally imported from France, but has been out-crossed with harrier, beagle and even fell hound over the years to produce a more athletic hound with great scenting ability, stamina, voice and drive.

thats a great pic

Thats a great picture of the hounds in the snow. They look very much like my local basset pack, the De-Burgh Hare Hounds. I have what would be the Hush Puppies basset, personally I prefer the way he looks, but these ones in the pictures are much better for hunting, they go a fair bit quicker than mine!