Mentoring

My son who is 19 has been using shotguns and rifles since he was eight years of age and has been a member of a rifle club from that age. When he was 14 he was granted a fac and shotgun certificate with joint ownership of all my shotguns and rifles but had to be in my supervision while using them.

He missed his renewal by a month, but spoke to the firearms dept and was reassured all was ok as my licence was in order, he has had a visit from the licencing officer but has now had a letter that says "as you have not previously possessed a rifle, it has been recommended that you are supervised by a firearms certificate holder who possesses a .308 calibre rifle or higher. This person will be required to supervise you until you have developed sufficient experience in the use of your rifle"

It looks like they are treating his application as a first timer instead of a renewal, he has had 11 years of supervision and mentoring and is thoroughly brassed off that he cant go out on his own and has written to them (Dyfed Powys ) asking for this restriction to be lifted

I am also going to write to them to say that he is a competent and experienced user

should he follow this up with a letter from the club? although the club secretary filled his reference for the renewal

My son who is 19 has been using shotguns and rifles since he was eight years of age and has been a member of a rifle club from that age. When he was 14 he was granted a fac and shotgun certificate with joint ownership of all my shotguns and rifles but had to be in my supervision while using them.

He missed his renewal by a month, but spoke to the firearms dept and was reassured all was ok as my licence was in order, he has had a visit from the licencing officer but has now had a letter that says "as you have not previously possessed a rifle, it has been recommended that you are supervised by a firearms certificate holder who possesses a .308 calibre rifle or higher. This person will be required to supervise you until you have developed sufficient experience in the use of your rifle"

It looks like they are treating his application as a first timer instead of a renewal, he has had 11 years of supervision and mentoring and is thoroughly brassed off that he cant go out on his own and has written to them (Dyfed Powys ) asking for this restriction to be lifted

I am also going to write to them to say that he is a competent and experienced user

should he follow this up with a letter from the club? although the club secretary filled his reference for the renewal

have a chat to them also ring basc sacs or who ever your membership is with for free advice

Theres a article in this months sporting gun and the guys written to the police commissioner asking when mentoring was put in as a legal requirement , so you can quote that and it might take it back to a renewal

just thought id add another qustion to this topic rather than start a new one.

ive just got my FAC back with a .243 o n it with the condition i be mentored the chap i have as a mentor i have been going out shooting a rimfire for several years and i normally with him when he goes after deer or fox.

just wanted to know how long is ideal to be mentored as hes gettin on abit and doesnt go out half as much as i want.

i know most off you will say as soon as he says im safe but is it better from the eyes of the police if i give a few months or longer??

Thanks

It's all a sticky situation really.....nobody iv heard of has lost there ticket for shooting without there mentor present......I shot rifles for many years....been successful in competition shooting and put many thousand shots in the field......iv moved house and for personal reasons I sold up....its been twelve months with FAC and I'd like rifles again.....iv been told I will have to start again abd won't be able to have an open ticket.......

Do you have to nominate someone to be a mentor? Or is just up to you to make sure you are with "someone" who has an FAC? I don't remember seeing a mentor section on the application forms?

Thats because ITS NOT A LEGAL REQUIREMENT

Mentoring won't be mentioned until the enquiry officer comes to visit.

As The one says, it is not a legal requirement, merely something licensing departments are using more frequently in order to pass some of the responsibility to another person.

It is worth having someone in mind who is willing to act as your mentor but again, some forces simply don't use it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to bring you all up to date, I sent a covering letter to say my son was competent in all aspects. He also sent a letter asking for this restriction to be lifted he got his ticket yesterday..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

under firearms possessed ************ NO ENTRIES********************

Under firearms authorised to purchase or acquire ...................is listed all of my rifles and pistols..............

So effectively we can now double up on our firearms (not that we have any intention of doing so)

The FEO's concern was the amount of ammunition we would hold as his is the same as mine ie we can both possess 1,200 rf rounds, 700 each of .223, .17hmr, .308

I think i need to speak to them again as his ticket is saying he cannot be in possession of any rifles