3 Hours Out With Me And Phil (Hunter100T).

zini

Hi lads,

Over the past week or so I have been chatting over the internet to a man that goes by the alias of Hunter100t. I believe that he is also a member of THLF.

Well it tuned out that he lived not to far from me (around 6 miles in fact) so I invited him over to mine for a 3 hour shoot on one of mine and Davys permissions.

Right on time a young looking 50 ish something year old man (ex soldier) turned up at my house and we had a brew and a chat before heading off to the permission in search of woodies.

Hunter100t (real name Phil) brought along his trusty HW100T in .177 and I wanted to give the HW97KT a run out to see what it was like as a static hunting rifle when after woodies.

As normal the first thing we did was to go into one of the 60 meter indoor green houses and place my 1 inch wooden backstop against the large wooden end door and pin a target to it so that we could both check zero.

Phil went first and this is where I first noticed a man that can shoot beyond doubt. I asked him if he had a bipod and he said he didn’t bring it. I said you can lend my day sack to rest on but he preferred to shoot in the prone position off hand un rested (military style). Thinking that his groups would be quite large I watched him shoot at 27 yards and adjust his MTC Viper a few clicks here and there before putting 3 pellets (off hand) through the same hole.

Next it was my turn which took a bit longer as the rifle was shooting well right and a little low. After maybe 10 to 12 shots I managed to put a pellet through the same hole that Phils 3 pellets had made and I was happy.

Next we moved back to 40 meters and I placed a small milk bottle top against the back stop just to do a final test. This time I went first and took the shot resting off a metal upright hitting the top in one shot with 2 mildots of hold over on x 10 mag, followed by Phil managing it in 2 shots but hitting it as central as it was possible (cracking shot) and both rifles now zeroed.

Next I showed Phil the area that we were going to be shooting and I took him to an area that I knew was a favoured sittee tree area for the quarry we were targeting. Luckily there are 2 natural hides in this area about 70 meters apart, and the one that I placed Phil in was the one that I had shot from before and knew would be productive for him.

I explained where I was going to be setting up so Phil knew where he could and could not safely point and shoot etc and then we said our good byes. Luckily we could both see each others hides through the trees and it wasn’t long before the birds started to come in, in their 10’s and 15’s and land in their favourite sittee trees.

As I set up my camera and loaded the 97 I heard the flap of wings (no shot) but utter panic as every bird in the area took off less one that I witnessed fall through the trees hitting the floor some 30 to 35 meters from me. The first shot and Phil was off to a good start.

My first bird was a woody at around 20 meters away after 2 or 3 attempts but each time managing to clip a branch when trying to find away through the branches to my target. I hit this bird cleanly but it managed to fly to its left out of my sight, crashing into the deep leave litter. I searched for 5 minutes but couldn't find it so went back to my hide as I didn't want to spoil Phil’s shooting any longer keeping the woodies away with my presence.

Next I heard the cackle of a pair of black and white robbers before seeing a flash of feathers then hearing a screech as one fell from its perch, shot with a .177 pellet to its brain, again Phil stuck with precision. This went on for the remainder of the 3 hour shoot with Phil and me shooting and either hitting a branch and the woody flying off un injured, or us knocking a woody clean out the tree dead.

I ended up with another woody taken at around 22 meters with a nice clear and un obstructed heart shot that just fell straight out the tree and Phil got another 5 but only could find 4 due to the leave litter which is quite deep.

One of Phil’s shots was a 50 meter shot to a woody that just dropped like a stone. He had to fit his pellet through a lot of branches to achieve this so my hat goes off to him.

All in all it was a really good 3 hours out with 8 woodies and a magpie to show for our efforts. Next time we are going to both go in Phil’s hide and one shoot while the other records the kill before changing around after each shot.

Thanks to Phil for coming and spending some time with me. He will be coming to the June meet so others will meet him too.

The photo is what Phil took for me on my phone. All here but 1 woody was shot by Phil.

Si.

post-2627-0-30723400-1359280275_thumb.jpg

Edited by zini
  • Like 4

Cracking write up there Si, sounds like some excelent shooting as well. Sounds like phil is a very good marksman, living only half an hour away is a bonus. I can only dream of reaching those levels, but will keep plugging away with the practice.

ATB

Danny

Edited by Danny R-10

Sounds like a good day out! Can't wait for the episode, getting withdraw symptoms waiting for another episode.

Yes it should be a good episode Phil :yes: .

It defo pays though to use a quality multi shot PCP when static hunting woodies mate :yes:

Being already loaded and made ready is a lot easier than seeing the birds land, trying to cock the rifle quietly, aiming the camera and then taking the shot without being seen :censored: .

I must have lost 5 or 6 chances myself just by being seen doing the above :censored: .

Flipping good eye sight have them woodies.

Hopefully being in the other hide will be a bit better as Ill only have to cock and shoot while Phil records.

Si.

Another great gesture from one member to another with no strings attatched, just the love of shooting and H.M. Armed Forces as common ground. So nice to hear and see that there are members prepared to help fellow members without a hidden agenda.

ATVB

Roger