did anyone else go rabbitting before dixi came, i went with my grandpa to rushcliffe in notts. me ,and a few other lads would beat the bracken towards the woods where the guns were waiting,lots of rabbits were shot and sometimes a deer,once two foxs were shot and the keeper told all us lads ,to keep to yer gobs shut, afterwards we would have a meal of fried rabbit livers , and eggs at the keepers house. behind his house were some massive sheds which i think were used for drying timber and storage,hanging from the beams were hundreds of gin traps and bundles of snares,nets ,spades, and ferret cages . iused to play in there for hours ,and now 50 odd years later, i still could.

micky

did anyone else go rabbitting before dixi came, i went with my grandpa to rushcliffe in notts. me ,and a few other lads would beat the bracken towards the woods where the guns were waiting,lots of rabbits were shot and sometimes a deer,once two foxs were shot and the keeper told all us lads ,to keep to yer gobs shut, afterwards we would have a meal of fried rabbit livers , and eggs at the keepers house. behind his house were some massive sheds which i think were used for drying timber and storage,hanging from the beams were hundreds of gin traps and bundles of snares,nets ,spades, and ferret cages . iused to play in there for hours ,and now 50 odd years later, i still could.

micky

You fecking auld Romantic.... :drink::drink::drink:

Er,..if you go back,...can I come with you.... :whistling:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
rushcliffe you say . well that covers a large area south of nottingham i lve in the rushciffe area . where exactly was this? TOMO :)

near gotham ,lord belpers estate i think. i went ferreting on a golf course near there in 1966[ they used to ring a big bell when they were half way round] it was alive with rabbits ,a rare thing in those days. is there many about there now? grandpas name was george stacey and worked as a underkeeper at preswold hall

micky

Micky, alas no ,but I have a good friend who did. He is now 72, him and his father trapped rabbits on the plains, as proffessional trappers. They used to live in shepherds huts and had their own areas to trap. They used to work 390 gin traps and catch 300 rabbits a day. When he was a boy he said it was not unusual to pull 30-40 rabbit from one stop end hole. I introduced him to my fast set longnet system, when ferreting with him last year wants one for himself this season.

I dont think I'll let him have one though cause he wont take me with him !

masterhunter

rushcliffe you say . well that covers a large area south of nottingham i lve in the rushciffe area . where exactly was this? TOMO :)

near gotham ,lord belpers estate i think. i went ferreting on a golf course near there in 1966[ they used to ring a big bell when they were half way round] it was alive with rabbits ,a rare thing in those days. is there many about there now? grandpas name was george stacey and worked as a underkeeper at preswold hall

YES I KNOW IT WELL THE GOLF COURSE JOINS UP WITH EAST LEAK , BEEN ON THERE A FEW TIMES MYSELF. THERE ARE STILL RABBITS THERE, NOT QUITE PRE MIXY TYPE NOMBERS .

:whistling: I HAVE SNEEKED ON WITH A SINGLE FERRET IN A MONEY BAG FOR A FEW HOURS AND RATTLED OUT 15- 16 - 17 ON A FEW OCASIONS :whistling: