Lurcher Question What To Get?

i no i've already asked this but want to refrase the question im looking a lurcher primarely for rabbits but if it takes foxs its a bonus (living in n.i taking foxs legal) it was sugested i got a bedlington grey cross but are these not more a fox dog if it does rabbts a bonus? as i said before bull cross outta the question as i simply dont like them any info appreciated

according to my friends they are a brilliant lurcher and very hard to get over here but are very vicious as well im not sure how smart they are or how easy trained basically what i mean is for me it wouldnt make a ideal first choice as im not sure what the dogs are generally like.. n yea was thinking ether collie grey or deerhound grey but im in no rush to get a dog and think that that will give me time to find the right cross off the right person all being well

according to my friends they are a brilliant lurcher and very hard to get over here but are very vicious as well im not sure how smart they are or how easy trained basically what i mean is for me it wouldnt make a ideal first choice as im not sure what the dogs are generally like.. n yea was thinking ether collie grey or deerhound grey but im in no rush to get a dog and think that that will give me time to find the right cross off the right person all being well

got one of my beddy xs from nothern ireland dont think there vicious depends how you bring them up great first choice in my eyes you would maybe be better just with lurcher x lurcher bit of everything good luck with what ever you pick :thumbs: Edited by nothernlite

yea theres a beddy whippet cross advertised i was looking at would they do anything else or would they just be a rabbit dog? could you mix the beddy x with other dogs we have a springer a cockerxlab and a mongrel collie the spingers 6 months n will hopefully b working dog other 2 are pets would you be able to keep the beddyx in same pen as springer?

Never heard a hunter refer to a dog as being very vicious that sounds like the sort of thing the BBC would come out with. I hope your genuine!

A dog is a dog is a dog, a beddy grey would be fine, so would a dh/gh or a dh/gh/collie as would loads of other different types, what ever dog you get is likely to be half greyhound anyway and they tend to be pretty calm and not too vicious anyway :laugh:. Get one off working parents, regardless of breeding and as long as its around the 22-26" it will stand a decent chance of doing what you want.

Edited by lapin2008
  • Like 3

I've heard beddy/whippets are more vocal than beddy/greyhounds, not sure if this is true. I'd opt for collie greyhound but its more what you like in a dog. Very few dogs are born vicious, all to do with the upbringing and training.

Ok I suppose it does sound suspect I admit but I am genuine I have 5 ferrets all working 3 shotguns a air rifel and applying for a 17 hmr (I no the 2 contridict but sure means when the ground isn't suitable for dogs I can still do the job) I live on a farm and have several farmers looking me to reduce the level of rabbits to a sustainable level friends both have bull cross's n its for that reason I don't want 1 they are brilliant dogs execlent on rabbits and lovely animals but weather its to do with breeding or training they don't retrive come back to you after they catch a rabbit its brilliant watching them course but its really puts me off when they don't come bk after catching a rabbit means instead off getting rid of 6 rabbits u get 1 n have 5 rabbits becoming lamp shy I wanna dog I can call bk if it retreives a rabbit its a bonus if nt then as long as it comes bk in I'm happy

I'd go saluki bull greyhound myself I like them plenty wind for rabbits and a good size dog for Charlie :thumbs:

Would they not be too viscous though?

:laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: Yeah true mate these will take your arm off , that's the bull blood for you :whistling::laugh: :laugh:

Ok I suppose it does sound suspect I admit but I am genuine I have 5 ferrets all working 3 shotguns a air rifel and applying for a 17 hmr (I no the 2 contridict but sure means when the ground isn't suitable for dogs I can still do the job) I live on a farm and have several farmers looking me to reduce the level of rabbits to a sustainable level friends both have bull cross's n its for that reason I don't want 1 they are brilliant dogs execlent on rabbits and lovely animals but weather its to do with breeding or training they don't retrive come back to you after they catch a rabbit its brilliant watching them course but its really puts me off when they don't come bk after catching a rabbit means instead off getting rid of 6 rabbits u get 1 n have 5 rabbits becoming lamp shy I wanna dog I can call bk if it retreives a rabbit its a bonus if nt then as long as it comes bk in I'm happy

nothing to do with the breed not coming back down to the owners mate