Springer Jumping Barbed Wire Fence

i have a springer spaniel pup coming up 10 months old. This is the first spaniel ive had and trained so mite be a stupid quistion but im still learning. Should i let him jump barbed wire fences ? i havent encouraged this but he has started to do so on his own accord and the other day ended up hanging by his back leg but did not hurt himself luckily.

Simple your dogs a jumper and you won't stop that.. I'd train it too jump, atleast you'll know if its going to do it it can 'actually' do it!!! Plenty springers jump fences mate.

Personally after seeing a keepers dog opened up by barbed wire i whistle mine back in if i think they're wanting to jump the fence, each to their own though.

I wouldn't panic mate.... I've seen yours and I'm guessing there only "thinking about jumping" anyway... Lol

i always hold the top strand down or put a coat over the fence if i can for the gundogs to get over if im there in time, i have a little lurcher who has been opened up by wire a few times so i try and avoid it, but it is a hazard of the job, labs right teach it to jump its going too anyway

Personally after seeing a keepers dog opened up by barbed wire i whistle mine back in if i think they're wanting to jump the fence, each to their own though.

any dog can be opened up by barbed wire, just a hazard of the job

Aye hazard of the job...one i'd rather avoid.

I wouldn't panic mate.... I've seen yours and I'm guessing there only "thinking about jumping" anyway... Lol

:feck: ginger freak

Bradford Lad i do the same and lift, It,s not just the barbs i've seen a pointer hanging and screaming with its leg between top to strands ! Took two of use and a coat wraped around the bitey end to get it off.

Cost the owner over £1500 in torn off ligaments op and physio/swimming treatments dog became a pet as not safe to work it as the leg lost side to side stability.

But as others have said thats the point of a Dog to fetch a £1.50 bird why worry about it ? it's only a disposable tool at the end of the day ? is it not :whistling:

Edited by coldweld
  • Like 1