Sperm Straws from terriers

Common practice in the greyhound world, 80pecent done via AI, if anyone needs some straws drawing and storing just contact Christine at www.merefieldstud.com in Liverpool, she recently helped a member of THL with a lurches bitch that wouldn't stand. she drew the sperm from stud dog , froze it and AI the bitch at a later date, she had 8 pups, this is a bonus with AI, the chance of pups is 99 percent and the litters are usually large, as for how long we'll she currently has some sperm from a greyhound called Staplers Joe he was a June 93 whelp. Hope this helps

T

• Like 1

Jigsaw I would see knocking the bitch out as a possible disaster the anaesthetic can be very dangerous. I would be very nervous putting a top quality brood bitch out for that operation.

Snizel,the success rate is very high and he said hes never had a loss of life with that procedure yet.I understand your concern though.

If for no other reason than you won't have to worry about the damage the anti's willl have done to working dogs in ten years... it's worth the cost. Three or four straws can go a long way... and who knows what that dog that dies way to soon can produce with the right bitch down the road.

jawn,what was the cost?we are in the process of doing it also.we got a price of 240 euros to take 3 straws and that includes storing them for 12 months.then its 380 euros to use 1 on a bitch,its surgically put into the bitch as opposed to a tube up the rear side.the bitch is knocked out and operated on.this im told is far more reliable and successful than the other way the vets do it.After 12 months in storage its 10 euro every year for every straw they save.Hopefully we'll have it sorted in the next few weeks.

is it newpark (near clonmel)? sorry missed a few posts before i posted that..Maybe price around-60 euro they charged me to a.i my bitch that got stolen with a ted bundy minded glen..Fresh semen rather than frozen though-they can do that too and have an endoscope so no need to cut the bitch open.

Its funny -a lot of greyhound litters by u.s supersires such as downing,ks flak etc. were nowhere as good as the dogs they produced when they were alive-i think ohlongarm and deadgame from the states have done it with patterdales-maybe ask them how it worked out for them.

Edited by tinytiger