Laws on foxing with terriers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking the legalities aside as thats been answered and there's a topic pinned on it, if you're considering using a terrier to ground for the use of pest control then make sure you have someone experie

the law only applies when caught fill yer boots

As long as it's your intention to drive the hens towards a line of guns then crack on!! The law is an ass in this case. Those that suffer losses to livestock cannot protect their lambs/chickens/etc b

sorry im wrong

The Hunting Act 2004 permits the use of no more than one terrier below ground at any one time "for the purpose of preventing or reducing serious damage to game birds or wild birds which a person is keeping or preserving for the purpose of their being shot". The Act also stipulates conditions about permission and the welfare of both the dog and the fox. This is sometimes referred to as "the gamekeeper's exemption", although the Act does not specify that the exemption only applies to gamekeepers.

its illegal

Feck me I hope not, that means I am a law breaker :tongue2: :tongue2:

have a look at the start of the terrier section and there's a link that explains it all, and it's definatley NOT illegal if done as the law allows

yeah my mistake there is a loop hole lol

its illegal

Feck me I hope not, that means I am a law breaker :tongue2: :tongue2:

have a look at the start of the terrier section and there's a link that explains it all, and it's definatley NOT illegal if done as the law allows

yeah my mistake there is a loop hole lol

I can assure you it is not a loophole :laugh:

That would suggest that all digging was banned and people found a way around the law.

Ok not a loop hole but permission must be granted i would assume? otherwise then would that not be seen as breaking the law?

Use of dogs below ground to protect birds for shootingE+W

2(1)The use of a dog below ground in the course of stalking or flushing out is in accordance with this paragraph if the conditions in this paragraph are satisfied.E+W

(2)The first condition is that the stalking or flushing out is undertaken for the purpose of preventing or reducing serious damage to game birds or wild birds (within the meaning of section 27 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (c. 69)) which a person is keeping or preserving for the purpose of their being shot.

(3)The second condition is that the person doing the stalking or flushing out—

(a)has with him written evidence—

(i)that the land on which the stalking or flushing out takes place belongs to him, or

(ii)that he has been given permission to use that land for the purpose by the occupier or, in the case of unoccupied land, by a person to whom it belongs, and

(b)makes the evidence immediately available for inspection by a constable who asks to see it.

(4)The third condition is that the stalking or flushing out does not involve the use of more than one dog below ground at any one time.

(5)In so far as stalking or flushing out is undertaken with the use of a dog below ground in accordance with this paragraph, paragraph 1 shall have effect as if for the condition in paragraph 1(7) there were substituted the condition that—

(a)reasonable steps are taken for the purpose of ensuring that as soon as possible after being found the wild mammal is flushed out from below ground,

(b)reasonable steps are taken for the purpose of ensuring that as soon as possible after being flushed out from below ground the wild mammal is shot dead by a competent person,

©in particular, the dog is brought under sufficiently close control to ensure that it does not prevent or obstruct achievement of the objective in paragraph (B),

(d)reasonable steps are taken for the purpose of preventing injury to the dog, and

(e)the manner in which the dog is used complies with any code of practice which is issued or approved for the purpose of this paragraph by the Secretary of State.

Those rules only apply to game bird protection then, so if you dig on farm land which has no game birds and no shoot, where would you stand then.

That's why if you know the law you can have the right answers and the right stuff in place!

Those rules only apply to game bird protection then, so if you dig on farm land which has no game birds and no shoot, where would you stand then.

That's why if you know the law you can have the right answers and the right stuff in place!

True. what about common ground, someone said it doesnt exist but on land registry in my village there is a huge area marked as common ground