best age to start running young wippets

hi all im new to the forum and running dogs i was just wondering

at what age you would start to work your wippets iv have two one dog and one bitch

there 5 month old i havent even shown them a rabbit yet with them been so young was wondering what

other more experianced people would think thanks

Hi,

I have a few whippets and to be honest I would wait until you have the dog under full control rather than the age. I was desperate to get me first whippet out and she caught her first bunny about 7 months but she was, and still is a nightmare for hunting up.

The others all return as soon as I whistle and turn the lamp off. They were not entered until 10 or 11 months for the odd run then worked proper the following season.

It easier not to rush when you have another dog to work. When I got my first whippet she was the only dog I had as my lurcher had been killed in thr field so I know I rushed her too much.

Good luck with your dog though.

I had my Whippet out at 6 months, Ferreting only, got him used to the ferts, nets and using his nose, the rabbits dont lie out where i was taking him, or long ears.

he has now developed into a useful rabbiting companion.

and does not yip, if you are talking about lamping, i would wait till a year old, and dont over do it on the lamp, at that age they are just saplings.