American badger ?

In the UK and France they have been digging terriers for centuries. There are plenty of diggers and knowledge to be handed down. Here in the States it is extremely rare to actually know someone that works terriers, let alone work them in the ground. Most worn them in barns and brush piles. We have a very large country and there is often great distances between people that work terriers. It is even more rare to find someone that has dug badger, let alone to dig them with any regular basis. We do not have many people to show us how to get on with it. Most people, terriermen/women, that actually dig terriers, that I have talk to, have had to learn on their own by trial and era. Its easy for you guys to judge becuase you have a very large support system in how to go about it. Most of the books that I have read regarding badger clubs of eras gone by stated that many dogs were use in the hole at once. I think its more an issue that wrighty17 posted the video than to jump on nebo for using two dogs to hold the VERY big badger in place.

• Like 4

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets not be judgemental about other people's hunting ways,at least they can still hunt badger(we f****d ourself up without any outside help).Back in the day if one dog could not stop a badger digging

European badgers dig on as well,if the dog is inexperienced or not game enough for badger digging the badger gets away.A dog that knows his game will not let him dig on but will keep harassing him unt

Please excuse me if this comes off a bit deffensive but the dogs in the clip are mine and I think I owe it to them to respond to the couple negative remarks. Below are some photos of my dogs just to s

Posted Images

think its abit silly to slate someone for the way he finished a dig on something that you have never dug or even seen in the fur, dont get me wrong i dont think working 2 dogs to ground is sensible but it was at the end of the dig has no-one ever showed a young dog a stop end before :hmm:

• Like 2

Yes mate we av all shown u pup at stop en. Bt yet again on its own if u look at the clip the black dog had the badger at his mersey for a while inexperience it may have been on the yanx but the animal shud have been dispatched way before it was it was cruel on both animal and dogs unnessessary punishment imo

• Like 2

McKay makes some good points about the size of the US and the vast distance that can be between people here that work terriers. He is correct that badger are not legal in every state. In fact sub species can and do very within some states. I have dug several with both black and white dogs in 3 different states, but never with a backhoe. Nebo, I do have a couple questions for you. Did you use the backhoe because the badger dug away from the dog? Did the dog have the badger in grips but you couldn't get to the dog? Did you use it so you could trench down ahead of the last locate you had on the dog? Also what line of dogs are you working....who did you get your start from with them? Although I don't agree with putting the video on the www I am not slaging you. Just asking questions of things I didn't see in the video.

Edited by Hoss1

McKay makes some good points about the size of the US and the vast distance that can be between people here that work terriers. He correct that badger are not legal in every state. In fact sub species can very within states I have dug several with both black and white dogs in 3 different states, but never with a backhoe. Neon I do have a couple questions for you. Did you use the backhoe because the badger dug away from the dog? Did the dog have the badger in grips but you couldn't get to the dog? Did you use it so you could trench down ahead of the last locate you had on the dog? Also what line of dogs are you working....who did you get your start from with them? Although I don't agree with putting the video on the www I am not slaging you. Just asking questions of things I didn't see in the video.

I did not post the video on the web, American hobbies did a special on the hobby and had it on a private website. It was voted the top video of the year so they posted it on YouTube without me knowing. As for the backhoe it was only brought in after I had broke through three times with the spade and the badger kept digging on with the (one dog) attached. The backhoe was nice because we back filled it right in and planted seed and two weeks later you could barley see where we dug. First and only time we had that luxury.

think its abit silly to slate someone for the way he finished a dig on something that you have never dug or even seen in the fur, dont get me wrong i dont think working 2 dogs to ground is sensible but it was at the end of the dig has no-one ever showed a young dog a stop end before :hmm:

2 dogs together like that will get damage that they could do with out pal-can also ruin a young dog :yes: lift the terrier and dispatch soon as-or if the law permits use a "draw dog"we all learn ;)

McKay makes some good points about the size of the US and the vast distance that can be between people here that work terriers. He correct that badger are not legal in every state. In fact sub species can very within states I have dug several with both black and white dogs in 3 different states, but never with a backhoe. Neon I do have a couple questions for you. Did you use the backhoe because the badger dug away from the dog? Did the dog have the badger in grips but you couldn't get to the dog? Did you use it so you could trench down ahead of the last locate you had on the dog? Also what line of dogs are you working....who did you get your start from with them? Although I don't agree with putting the video on the www I am not slaging you. Just asking questions of things I didn't see in the video.

I did not post the video on the web, American hobbies did a special on the hobby and had it on a private website. It was voted the top video of the year so they posted it on YouTube without me knowing. As for the backhoe it was only brought in after I had broke through three times with the spade and the badger kept digging on with the (one dog) attached. The backhoe was nice because we back filled it right in and planted seed and two weeks later you could barley see where we dug. First and only time we had that luxury.

I don't understand. If you broke through 3 times with a dog attached and the badger digging on. Couldn't you have ended it on one of those 3 times? And if it was digging on with a dog attached howmdid the dog deal with the back fill? Any time I have had one dig away (as in digging a new hole) because the dog could not hold it, the dog was simply choked off. I have yet to see any dog able to dig through new hole back fill with out human help.

I don't understand. If you broke through 3 times with a dog attached and the badger digging on. Couldn't you have ended it on one of those 3 times? And if it was digging on with a dog attached howmdid the dog deal with the back fill? Any time I have had one dig away (as in digging a new hole) because the dog could not hold it, the dog was simply choked off. I have yet to see any dog able to dig through new hole back fill with out human help.

Your exactly spot on the dog could not hold on through the backfill, that is why you see me holding the black bitch in the video. We had to relocate three times because of the backfill. And no we could not dispatch it, if you have dug on the American badger you know can move some serious dirt. So I never had a clean shot to dispatch the animal until after the dogs stopped it.

Your exactly spot on the dog could not hold on through the backfill, that is why you see me holding the black bitch in the video. We had to relocate three times because of the backfill. And no we could not dispatch it, if you have dug on the American badger you know can move some serious dirt. So I never had a clean shot to dispatch the animal until after the dogs stopped it.

Fair enough! The main reason for my questions was not to criticize, but rather to try and get you to explain so maybe others could understand a little better. I still do not condone some of the content of the vidio, but I am sure you got the jest of that from others. There are a lot of missconceptions and myths about NA badger. I give you two thumbs up for going after them. Most people in the US never see one alive in there life time let along try to dig one.

Nebo1400 glad to see you working terriers in the States and I am not having a go at you,but for the record,this is a bad fault in badger dogs,a dog should not let the badger dig on under no circumstances.Forget all the excuses about American badgers digging on they all do,but the dog should not let him.If a dog behaved like that over this neck of the woods(in the day)he would not be brought home.
  • Like 3