Lurcher Collars

Quick question for you experienced lads out there ...

Lurcher collars that are used on Greyhounds/Whippets which are thin underneath the dogs neck but taper wider on the back of the neck ...

Can anyone explain the reason behind the design? I mean does the fatter part of the collar support the dogs neck when running?

Question born from my curiosity more than anything.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

could be a few reasons. does takestrain off the front of their throat.   WUYANG- the collar you are thinking of is a martingale collar. kind of like a choker design for sighthounds. it doesnt choke

like has already been said, it was designed when dogs where encouraged to pull on the lead to build muscle growth in their back legs.   the book was 'of pedigree unknown by phil drabble'.   great

My saluki cross modeling a few collars I have lol I've also got a 1.5 inch strong stuff collar and a 2 inch one they are straight cut ones   Strong stuff lurcher collar   Leather 1 Leather

like has already been said, it was designed when dogs where encouraged to pull on the lead to build muscle growth in their back legs.

the book was 'of pedigree unknown by phil drabble'.

great book BTW.

• Like 2

like has already been said, it was designed when dogs where encouraged to pull on the lead to build muscle growth in their back legs.

great book BTW.

what if your dog does not pull well on the lead how will this then help..

i would hope most would also train there dog not to pul welll on the lead thats one of the first things i try to stop well walking my dog on a lead..atb

• Like 1

great book BTW.

i would hope most would also train there dog not to pul welll on the lead thats one of the first things i try to stop well walking my dog on a lead..atb

my dog pulls like a fecker when hes out lamping lol

great book BTW.

have you seen how old the book is?

it refers to old training methods of where 1 guy would walk infront of the dogs with a 'rag' hanging out his arse pocket.

the dogs (being keen) woukd oull and strain to get to the rag.

like a bodybuilder pulling a car. thats the idea.

ofcourse techniques change and methods evolve as does technology.

but the collars have stayed the same

Edited by Blue Pocket Rocket