Please educate me; Fell or Patterdale?

Hi all.

New here so exsqueesh me the baffle...

Fell terrier or Patterdale? Same breed? Not same? If so, why?

In Finland there's a patterdale-club, patterdate-breeders etc... Nice looking creatures, so no worries there. Although similar dogs actually seem to be described as patterdales and then on some e-page they're mentioned as fell terriers.

Is it dependent of colour or gameness/style/eagerness/hardness (in short; style) or type? Area where it is from?

Sorry stupid question. But as e-knowledge is something and other is getting the info from people who actually meddle with these dogs.

So. Pls educate this ignorant foreigner.

= Jykke =

• Like 1

Somebody will probably correct me if I'm wrong but I call it a fell if it has a thick or long coat. Or just a black or red terrier with a good thick coat is probably the best way to describe it. A patt for me is the short haired black and chocolate stuff a lot of lads use. But that's just me. Probably wrong. Iv a black pup with a heavy coat. Father was a red lakie type and mother was a black bitch with a very heavy coat. To me that makes that pup a fell.

• Like 2

A patterdale is a fell... people have a misconception that a patterdale is most commonly a smooth black or chocolate terrier, it is infact a fell terrier, the name patterdale is misleading as it suggests this type of terrier was developed in that area of england and there is no evidence to suggest this is true, only evidence to contradict the name! the term fell terrier isnt a breed its a type and covers a broad spectrum of terriers formed from breeding various strains or lines of working terrier from the north of england, fell terriers may be a variety of colours, black, black and tan, grizzle, red, white, chocolate etc...... or any combination, but as long as the terrier does what is asked of him whats in a colour?

• Like 5

A patterdale is a fell... people have a misconception that a patterdale is most commonly a smooth black or chocolate terrier, it is infact a fell terrier, the name patterdale is misleading as it suggests this type of terrier was developed in that area of england and there is no evidence to suggest this is true, only evidence to contradict the name! the term fell terrier isnt a breed its a type and covers a broad spectrum of terriers formed from breeding various strains or lines of working terrier from the north of england, fell terriers may be a variety of colours, black, black and tan, grizzle, red, white, chocolate etc...... or any combination, but as long as the terrier does what is asked of him whats in a colour?

Agree on colouring. Personally I do not give too much weight on colours, Only now with my GJT's are FCI. Which then complicates things, as all of us know. Patts/fells are not FCI and so no hindrance there.

Basically what you are saying is that Patterdale Terrier is within Fell Terrier-type? As are Lakeland T, Plummer T(?) etc? And so the length of coat is no issue here. These small black/chocolate/bronze terriers with either harsh or smooth coat are Patts?

= J =