venom custom hw77k

For hunting I have a beautiful Simmons Whitetail Classic 4.5-14x40 Super Night View on the .22 HW77 I have jjm. It is no longer made alas but, frankly, Simmons make a superb range of optics suitable for spring rifles. Bushnell are another. Not cheap but better than forking out for replacing lesser quality scopes. :thumbs:

Pianoman

For hunting I have a beautiful Simmons Whitetail Classic 4.5-14x40 Super Night View on the .22 HW77 I have jjm. It is no longer made alas but, frankly, Simmons make a superb range of optics suitable for spring rifles. Bushnell are another. Not cheap but better than forking out for replacing lesser quality scopes. :thumbs:

Pianoman

The White Tail Classics were quality scopes and I think one of the WT range or a similar scope from this period is what he should be looking for, unless of course he wants Mil dots. An Optima, Kassnar or Jap optics Tasco would go well with what is afterall a pretty special rifle. There are still plenty late 70's to 1980's vintage scopes knocking round at very reasonable prices. I recently bought a mint Sussex Armoury branded 3-9x40 scope (late 70's) in mint condition with incredably clear optics for just £70. An Optima Super Moonlighter 3-9x56 scope (mid 80's) again in brilliant condition for £60. A Tasco 2-7x32 AG P/A scope (mid 80's) in unused condition for £40. There are certainly plenty such scopes around.

before making your mind up, have a look through a few. i am getting my old 77 done up slowly. Not at the stage of needinng a scope yet, but I shall probably opt for the 2-7 x 32 Nikon Prostaff, as I have two 3-9 x 40 Prostaffs and they are very, very good indeed.

What I like about them, other than the absolutely TOP quality lenses (on a par with the best European scopes) is the fact they are compact, light and simple - no fiddle faddle adjustments to make. Set the scope for your eyes with the rear focus bell, thats it. Zero and check the drop at range for where it coincides with the Ballistic reticule. Thats it. The small scope is neater, lighter and every bit as bright as the bigger ones. You aren't going to be shootinng at 70m, so you don't need great magnification. The depth of field will give you clear sight picture over a greater range of distances. Affordable too - and far better than old scopes. Modern design, glass recipies and coatings knock spots off even Zeiss from 30 years ago. Imagine how poor cheap old scopes are in comparison.