At last one on the lamp...

milo

Well after 3 outings on the lamp and some catches but no binding on the lamp,last night we had one.

post-2322-0-60021700-1352805948_thumb.jpg

It was about 30-40 yds off the fence and the slip was on,rico shot down the beam and the bunny went thro the fence and started to make his way home untill rico got afoot thro the fence and held on,bloody brilliant well pleased but i still think rico is still a bit small for an allrounder,but never mind thats another one notched up on his tally this year...post-2322-0-02352400-1352805921_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The reason i think hes not big,strong etc to be an allrounder is because i have absoluttly tons of game to go at,ive put prob 20-30 plus phessies,god knows how many bunnies and hares up for him and yeh he has caught some and im happy with that only the phessies hes catching hes not got the knack to hold on long enough,hes caught 3 cock birds and he caught them in style,but has i run to him they just jump and hop arond and they get away,today for example he spotted one a good distance away and was on him he took him a good way then both rico and phessie crashed into bramble,by the time i got there the phessie was running out the other side of the bramble...fantastic to watch but ARRRR he desrves to be rewared for his effort.

Rico follows on high, hes stopped like a falcon,lamps and his recall is spot on,silent dont hear him,good with dogs not too bad with ferrets,but i think he could do a bit better at holding his quarry...this is after today crashing after the phessie...post-2322-0-98080900-1352825336_thumb.jpg

what weight is he ???

he is hunting at 1 lb 5 .3/4...

should be able to cope with pheasant when he gets the hang of them ...

a mates old bird used to be deadly on pheasants not many got away from him and my lass's dad as a bird who is starting out and as put 4 pheasants in the bag in the last 3 week (was kicked off a couple before getting the knack for them) and they both are 1lb 5 birds , just keep him at it he will come good ...

its good craic lamping with the harris to :thumbs:

I realy do hope he gets the knack mate,because he is a pleasure to hunt and watch fly i love the little guy.

i prefer the wee males and thats what ill be getting next year if all goes to plan , spent 4yrs out with other people and flying other peoples birds, think its about time i got my own lol

• Like 1

Phessies have lots of loose feathers so are able to break away very effectively. The more he hits the more he will learn. Smaller males are more agile and faster so you are compensated for the fact that he doesn't have more weight to pin them down. Yes it will be frustrating when they get away but this stage woun't last for ever and his kills will soon go up.

regards Ian

• Like 1