Moderator removal and Rezeroing

I think the benefits outway the negatives with a mod.

As long as I can hit the quarry, at least somewhere within the critical kill zone, so that they are dispatched humanely, that's the main thing. That's why I'm not so keen to go out blasting away with dodgy accuracy, as aside from the fact i'm not going to hit them, I want to know the bullets aren't flying off somewhere they shouldn't!

I'm not too bothered about having 1" groups, and all that nonsense on paper ;)

Lesson learned - TAKE THE MOD OFF EVERY TIME I GET HOME :blink:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're going new, buy a CZ you like, trigger kit, and spend what money you'd have spent on a higher £ rifle on a really good scope and mounts   Oh, and a mod   That or buy a Weirauch, weerauc

Sak is good and cheap have one on my 22 lr

From what I know which ain't a lot you should be taking the mod of every time you put the rifle away as it will weld its self to barrel and destroy the crown . I clean my rifle and mod after every out

Posted Images

Side picture of Crown

That looks like someone has attacked it with a hack saw and sand blaster, just the same that is going to make **** all difference to your accuracy, there is no apparent damage anywhere close to the bore or rifling. Just the same, for rimfire ammo to cause that it has been abused and you may want to do something about it, on top of which the bore MAY be damaged so worth checking it out.

My suspicions would be the inside of your mod has suffered and possibly melted!

Does it look like any of these?

post-10759-0-46069600-1352052954_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

the first one looks lika an ase utra, the second a scirroco and the third a sak the first two will have washers and springs inside and if stripped and not reassembled correctly on the rod supplied will cause problems the sak is a one piece drilled affair.

Heya Deker,

Yeah mine is the one in the middle. Think it's probably fit for the bin. Will take it all down to the gunsmiths tomorrow and see what they reckon.

Are the sako mods the way forward then?

The last baffle of the mod (the coned bit at the back that is threaded) is completely stuck. Not budging for love nor money!

As The Duncan pointed out that is a Sirocco (Edgar Bros), mine melted!

There are 2 versions, the SM11 and the SM1116, the SM1116 would be the better of the 2 on a HMR, mine was originally a SM11 (if you find a "P" on the end of the number they are identical but have been proofed), and Edgar Bros kindly replaced it with a SM1116 when it did melt. I have to suggest I do not consider either fit for purpose, and the moderation is nothing special either.

The Tall mod on the left is a Sako and has a better build and sound reduction (I had a Sako on my WMR for years with no problems, the WMR is more powerful than the HMR), similar price to a Sirocco, perhaps a little less, the mod on the right is the SAK, much cheaper and fine, actually a much better bet in my view than a Sirocco!

Just my experiences :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

I never shoot .22 or hmr without a moderator. What is the point? The less noise the better, if only for the sake of your own hearing.

A moderator should not reduce the bullets velocity but it will affect the poi slightly simply because the weight of a mod pulls the barrel down.

It is, of course, essential that the moderator, barrel crown and thread, should all be in perfect condition as any issues here will affect accuracy. If you have a floating barrel, make sure it floats!

Taking off and re-fitting a moderator will not affect the zero on a well maintained rifle.

I don't want to start (yawn.....) that endless debate about cleaning or not cleaning but if you don't look after your gun don't be surprised if you get problems.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advise guys. Think I'll do myself a favour and bin the mod. It came with the gun when I bought it, and never knew too much about it.

I'm guessing it's burnt out at some point, as I only left it attached twice after shooting and that was over a period of 2 days - and it was stuck fast! Maybe had about 50 rounds through it in that period. Is this just gash handed on my part, or should it be getting welded on in that space of time?

The mod stayed on for about a month after that, so that's where the damage has been done.

my mate bought a hmr 17 with a edgar brothers moderater,after 15 rounds through it it let out a loud bang,he took the moderater off and the bullet had hit the washers,he took it back to the shop they gave him another to see how he gets on with that one and it done the very same,the gunsmith has sent the rifle back to the manufacturer but the way you guys are talking it sounds like its the moderater and not the rifle,i shall let you no what the outcome is,atb wf

my mate bought a hmr 17 with a edgar brothers moderater,after 15 rounds through it it let out a loud bang,he took the moderater off and the bullet had hit the washers,he took it back to the shop they gave him another to see how he gets on with that one and it done the very same,the gunsmith has sent the rifle back to the manufacturer but the way you guys are talking it sounds like its the moderater and not the rifle,i shall let you no what the outcome is,atb wf

If the bullet keeps hitting the mod then it is very simple, something isn't lined up, that could be the rifle bore, the thread on either the rifle or mod, or the mod was loose! The inside of the SM11 doesn't usually fall apart, the components just tend to melt/fuse together, is it the SM11 you are talking about?

This is easy, you just need eyes or possibly a rod if your eyes are ****!

A Gunsmith can see the problem immediately, so I don't get why he has sent the rifle back especially if he thinks it is the moderator! :hmm: :hmm: