Longnetting last week ..biggest bag so far

FERRETBOY

Hi Guys'

Eventhough i havent wrote much in the last few seasons on the forum it didnt mean i wasnt out there in the act . One night recently i couldnt resist going out with the longnets ,i cut some hazell sticks a couple weeks ago and stitched a poachers pocket into my jacket during the day whilst waiting for evening to fall.

It was around 11 o clock that night when i left mine on my new trusty mounting bike ,with both longnets packed into my bike rack carry case and my wounds in a rucksack.Cycling to the land i was about to net was very comfortable ,not having to walk here was a dream arriving at the place a third of the time it would take to walk.I arrived and headed into a a dark wood just before a car drove past down the lane, i left my bike well hidden after putting the two 50yrd traditional nets away in my inner coat pocket.

I walked out infront of the wood and could see some rabbits on the brow of the hill hoping away ,as quick as i could i ran both nets' out silently and then lifted the top line with my hazell sticks on my return back to the start of the net.I quickly walked down the edge of the field then at the far end zig zagged my way back towards the wood and caught three rabbits.I lifted the nets and went out dropping the net a second time further round the wood to the left ,dropped the net a little slowly than the time before due to a few tagles in the net caused by the debris i picked up. But got the net upright and tried scaring the rabbits which where sat in the field feeding.Taking my time to untangle the nets had payed off as this time i had a further four rabbits to add to my tally.

great night on myself and the webbs ,wish i had a netters dog though would save me the energy for cycling back home.

good hunting

rew.

• Like 3

I cycle everywhere now ,furthest i have biked has been 15 mile away and i can carry 10 rabbits on the bike rack comfortabley but anymore then i have to put them in the rucksack.The use of the bike has been a great and probabley a better way to get the dog fit too, cover the same distance in half the time and get some lamping done inbetween.Rabbits dont seem to scare away like if they hear footsteps either.

I like to use any net i can get hold of , i like the traditional net for the nostalgic reasons mainly but they do suit me when i go alone.

cheers

rew

• Like 1