Dedicated "FOX" Rifle....What's that all about?

For example:-

"22 for rabbits and .223 for a dedicated fox rifle".....

I have seen this term banded about a lot and I just don't get it!

I don't know what it means, and it sounds very restrictive.

Any given calibre can only ever have a limited use dictated by various physical factors, so what is the .223 dedicated to for foxes? Open field with medium range? Certainly close range in restricted environments smaller calibres come into their own and from 250-300 yards I would be looking at a bigger calibre!

So, does this imply "I only shoot foxes with it (NO OTHER ANIMALS) and between about 80-200 yards"?

I'd be interested to hear your interpretation. :thumbs:

I can sort of see where you are coming from,although I think 200 yds for a .223 is being a little unfair, I have seen foxes shot a lot further with instant kills,(prepare for flak from the .223 users)I think the term relates to quite simply,a rifle used for foxes and nothing else,perhaps with a night vision set up,or a nice light rifle that the user chooses to use for all his/her foxing forays,when carrying a bigger calibre could mean lugging a heavier beast around,I think the shooting community like to pigeon hole things sometimes,I have a .22 hornet,and a .243 both conditioned for fox, but I would not say I have a dedicated fox rifle,as I will shoot them with whatever I am using at the time,however if someone has only a fox condition on their rifle then by default,that rifle is deicated to fox.

I can sort of see where you are coming from,although I think 200 yds for a .223 is being a little unfair, I have seen foxes shot a lot further with instant kills,(prepare for flak from the .223 users)I think the term relates to quite simply,a rifle used for foxes and nothing else,perhaps with a night vision set up,or a nice light rifle that the user chooses to use for all his/her foxing forays,when carrying a bigger calibre could mean lugging a heavier beast around,I think the shooting community like to pigeon hole things sometimes,I have a .22 hornet,and a .243 both conditioned for fox, but I would not say I have a dedicated fox rifle,as I will shoot them with whatever I am using at the time,however if someone has only a fox condition on their rifle then by default,that rifle is deicated to fox.

:thumbs: :thumbs: BUT.....

Chill out, I made it clear it was an EXAMPLE and the word used was ABOUT, there are those I know who can't hit a Fox at 100 yards with a .223, I am not trying to set a definitive range spread for any given rifle, and .223 was also an example, substitute any calibre you like!

It's this dedicated business people spout off about I'm not understanding.

...and following on from your comments, Does anyone actually have ANY rifle listed solely for ONE quarry species...For Example the FAC states....... "The .223 shall be used only/solely for Fox control"..... or specific words restricting it for one species.

None of my conditions have EVER been that specific, and they now ALL contain the phrase ...ALL LAWFUL QUARRY, perhaps this is why I have no concept of this DEDICATED term? :hmm:

For a while I had a .204cal heavy barrel and I mean very heavy scoped up it was almost 18lb and I considered it to be my 'Fox' rifle,but I shot quite a few long range bunnies with it,but as it was not 'Deer' calibre it really was what I would call 'dedicated' to one quarry.

• 3 weeks later...