Roe limping badly........

Had a Roe brought in this evening that was seen limping badly before being shot,it turned out to be fine as far as the gralloch was concerned,but on further inspection in my larder I noticed something around one of the hooves,and it turned out to be a plastic seal that you get on the inside of a milk carton with the screw off lid and it had obviously been on there for some time as it was grown into the skin and was cutting off the blood supply,eventually the hoof would of just fallen off like a lambs tail.........moral of the story is,Don't chuck your seals down put them in the bin!

IMG_1474-1.jpg

IMG_1482-1.jpg

Martin

That was very unlucky that, Reminded me of one that i had last season all on one side it had damage two broken legs that had reset but twisted moreless the other way round and ever rib on one side had been broke and reset, It amazed me how it could survie and still keep its self going and it was in decent nick also plenty of meat on it...

Guest Leveller

.......moral of the story is,Don't chuck your seals down put them in the bin!

Don't put them straight in the bin either cut them up first or if you can burn them even better, same goes for the plastic that holds your tinnies together and the nets that oranges/onions etc come in. If you throw it in the bin it will end up in landfill where a lot of the time wildlife will scavenge and get caught up in those kind of things.

• Like 2

Always a shame to see such things happening to wild animals! :cry:

Over the years Ive had roe with some awfull injurys which have fully healed. Two broken front legs calloused up and fully healed, Hoof/leg missing above and below the first joint also fully healed. The animals have been in excellent condition apart from the obvious healed injurys. Can be quite hardy animals Roe :yes:

• Like 2

That was very unlucky that, Reminded me of one that i had last season all on one side it had damage two broken legs that had reset but twisted moreless the other way round and ever rib on one side had been broke and reset, It amazed me how it could survie and still keep its self going and it was in decent nick also plenty of meat on it...

They never fail to amaze me how they manage to keep going and sometimes with awesome injuries that would finish off any human,most animals are true survivors.

Martin

.......moral of the story is,Don't chuck your seals down put them in the bin!

Don't put them straight in the bin either cut them up first or if you can burn them even better, same goes for the plastic that holds your tinnies together and the nets that oranges/onions etc come in. If you throw it in the bin it will end up in landfill where a lot of the time wildlife will scavenge and get caught up in those kind of things.

Very true Leveller.

Martin

Exactly deer alot more tougher than we give them credit for. A few years back me and my dad were driving to a job and and a roebuck came out of the hedge and hit the front of the truck. Anyway we hit the poor bugger quite hard and he still on three legs managed to get to an adjacent field. Soon had the dog on its case. When we got it home skinned it up one legs was totally bruised just black jelly really. Obviously that was alot of adrenaline but still quite amazing.

They never fail to amaze me how they manage to keep going and sometimes with awesome injuries that would finish off any human,most animals are true survivors.

Martin

Good job that plastic was'nt on your stalking ground Martin , because the way your luck goe's it could of been your toe's that got tangled up in it. lol

cid_3A8C9951BB8A4C8D950011880EAD343.gif