any ideas what can cause a small bald(ish) patch around the size of a 10p piece about half way down the tail? its nothing major. just a bit flakey.

wondering what i can do to nip it in the bud?

Hi a lot of dogs that are stuck in kennels a lot do get the odd fur loss particularly on the back of the legs and tail. I always use dipro base it's about £2 from any chemist for a tube of it apply it every day to the area it hydrates the skin and encourages the hair to grow back give it a try :) also what is a must is sudocreme I use a lot of it on my dogs if they have rashes skin condition etc

It's a gland mate, my whippet dog Sagar has the same, Some dogs (and bitches) will have it some wont. I've started giving Sagar salmon oil in his food and it's helped and the hair is starting to grow back. You'll find it most noticable when the dogs in his summer coat.

Rats tail..its common as the cold..you could try all manner of things and they may not work..likes been said..Hibiscrub is an excellent start though...atb stabba

never heard it called rats tail before but it certainly is common as the cold like you say had dog with it where hibiscrub did not even touch it went of its own accord in the end with no treatment just time