keeping plummer terriers

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool, on the other hand, speaks because he has to say something..............

Be careful johnny-I would not kennel 3 terriers of any type together-a 3 way fight usually ends up with a dead or badly damaged dog. Terriers can live in harmony for quite some time,but if something k

The main reason for the repeat mating was very easy really and it was 16 months ago not 12month as inferred,as you know |I kept a bitch back for myself last time,1 bitch for my son,1 bitch for a good

a couple of pics of my pups playing,5weeks old now,I'll be glad to see them go soon,and last years bitch same way bred,WM

What makes you want to breed a repeat litter in just 12 months ?

ps the bitch and pups look well

thats a good question.

The main reason for the repeat mating was very easy really and it was 16 months ago not 12month as inferred,as you know |I kept a bitch back for myself last time,1 bitch for my son,1 bitch for a good mate and a dog for another close mate (pick of the litter)the other 5 went to a pest controller and farms were they would get plenty of work,I have kept tight records of size,weight,spannability and most importantly "working ability" and most have done better than expected,although still young 16mts they have been a very easy litter for all concerned,my bitch has had the most work and is probably the best plummer pup I have bred to date and has done very well on everything asked of her,my sons bitch is slightly smaller but hates fox and will pursue them at every opportunity and has since about 8 month old,the other bitch is limited by the owner only working rats and rabbits as have all the other dogs.

I take quite a few lads out on a regular basis and they are quite impressed by the dogs tractibility and work ethics and most want a plummer to work themselves,but as you know there is a shortage of decent working stock about that you could recommend to a friend so it is easier to breed them myself and that enables me to keep another bitch back as part of my own breeding programme,I just hope this litter is as good as the other,1 bitch is going to a lad that knows his terriers having done fox control on many of the large estates in the northwest for the last 35yrs,I value his opinion and he has been out and seen them work for himself over the last few months and the other bitch is going to a lad thats only ever had a russell before and is relatively new to the game,the rest of the litter I could of sold ten times over but will decide this week where their fate lies,I hope this will answer your curiosity but as I see it there really was no decision to make as another bitch of the same blood was needed to keep the projected plan on track,the only fly in the ointment is that "merlin" has been proven to carry a "cleft pallatte" defective gene but as my bitch could not be any further away from his line my pups are fine but some will carry it (50%)approx,that was the reason for collating the breed faults in a prior thread,I now have the knowledge to pick my way forward with the next generation and know the lines to avoid,some clubs gene pools have become too tight and the facts are there but not for all to see it seems,WM

• Like 4

I have been having little escapee's that find their way into my lurcher bitches bed of a night,the cage they are in is 4 planks high now but plummer pups are resourcefull if nothing else,their "dam" has been in a crate for the last 5 days due to weaning the pups,6 weeks old tomorrow,only 1 more week to go,WM

My niece and her kids come for their weekly visit to play with the pups,WM

• Like 2

Summer pups are so much easier to rear I know that much !!!! thanks "FOGGY",you know you'll end up with a pup off me one day LOL's I nearly had you last year when you and your better half were sat all day playing with them,maybe I'll get you with one of "ROSIE's" next year ??? have to be a dog though as all the bitches are already booked,see you soon,WM