I think I need another gun for game?

I think I posted something like this over two years ago before I got my shotgun.

In the end I bought a Miroku MK70 in 12 bore with 30" barrels.

After I had 1/4 of an inch taken off the stock I find I shoot clays with it pretty well but I still feel it's a bit unwieldy at times especially for something like a bolting rabbit or close fast moving target. It might be because I am a bit of a short arse at only 5' 7" but it's just a feeling I get.

I am desperately trying to find some shooting somewhere, and since I don't have a permission anywhere yet it's going to have to be a paid day on either rough walked up or driven although my ideal kind of shooting would be rough.

I reckon for driven birds my 30" gun would be pretty good although lugging it about all day would be a pain but if I am going to try and get rough shooting I really don't think it is the right gun.

So I'm thinking 20 bore, SBS or just another O/U but with shorter barrels...or am I making a big deal over nothing? The way I see it is that I need something that I can mount and point very quickly?

Anyone got any ideas? I'm still fairly inexperienced in game shooting.

Cheers

Nick

30 inch barrels will soon piss you off rough shooting mate (i'm 6'2" and it pisses me off after a day in the field you'll want to take a hacksaw to it :laugh: ) and personally I wouldn't have a 20 if you already have a 12 since the possibility of an accident is too great, I wouldnt' go for a sbs if you can shoot an ou well so it would either have to be a ou 12 with 26 inch barrels or a miroku mk70 28bore :thumbs:

I love to idea of a side by side but I've not been shooting that long so the totally different style might cause more problems that it's worth.

Regarding a 20 bore I was thinking that as long as I got cartridges that are a different colour like yellow (which they are supposed to be but aren't always) it wouldn't be too dangerous. But would you still get a shorter barrelled gun? I am guessing yes.

Get a sbs if you want one.....try it on the clays

i use an sbs and o/u for game shooting......the sbs is much better as it is lighter and shorter

horses for courses i guess.......what suits one dosn't always suit another

Hope you get a shoot day sorted........you'll love it

You dont have the choice of cartridges in the 20,as in availability,BB's/ steel shot and such for different things,12 bore alot more versatile and cheaper to feed,I personally have two 20 bore's, one side by side and one semi-auto, and I do love them, but I have just ordered a 12 bore semi-auto with two set's of barrels as I am finding myself under more and more geese,or chasing foxes,where I need shot varients that are not commonly held in most of my local shops,for 20 bore's and its a shame as its a real drawback with the 20 gauge, other than that for general game they are spot on,

You dont have the choice of cartridges in the 20,as in availability,BB's/ steel shot and such for different things,12 bore alot more versatile and cheaper to feed,I personally have two 20 bore's, one side by side and one semi-auto, and I do love them, but I have just ordered a 12 bore semi-auto with two set's of barrels as I am finding myself under more and more geese,or chasing foxes,where I need shot varients that are not commonly held in most of my local shops,for 20 bore's and its a shame as its a real drawback with the 20 gauge, other than that for general game they are spot on,

never found cartridge choice or availability a problem for most disiplines(i only live a short drive from both the express and eley factories). anything outside of that i swop over to an old remmington 1100 semi in 12g.

Get a sbs if you want one.....try it on the clays

i use an sbs and o/u for game shooting......the sbs is much better as it is lighter and shorter

horses for courses i guess.......what suits one dosn't always suit another

Hope you get a shoot day sorted........you'll love it

Cheers Sean

Yep I am going to get a SBS one day but not sure if it will be the next gun I get...firstly I am a sucker for shiny things, engraving and nice wood...non of which make me shoot better <_< and secondly I'll need to spend a fair bit of time getting used to a double trigger as well as the barrel configuration and I'm not sure if this is a great idea if I am trying to get out on a shoot in the next couple of months.

I guess I could just go Browning/Miroku again but the shortest barrels they do are 28".

Yeh there's no way I would get rid of the 12 bore. I shot with 20 bore MK70 with a shortened stock about 2 years ago and it was great but the cartridge cost is too much for clayshooting, as I am still learning (and probably will be for the rest of my life :D) I try and go as often as possible.

Nick

never found cartridge choice or availability a problem for most disiplines(i only live a short drive from both the express and eley factories). anything outside of that i swop over to an old remmington 1100 semi in 12g.

You are a lucky man living so close to your source of shells,I really struggle some times ,not much choice, small gun shops who just keep in what they think they can easilly get rid off,

And BASC shafting us over the lead shot ban for wildfowl made things really difficult and expensive :hmm:

It's really going to come down to either a 12 bore SBS or a 20 bore O/U. 20 bores seem to be harder to find apart from buying new.

Most or all of the SBS in my local gunshop are second hand and I don't know much about them, think they've got Webley & Scott and T Newton for sale mainly.

It's really going to come down to either a 12 bore SBS or a 20 bore O/U. 20 bores seem to be harder to find apart from buying new.

Most or all of the SBS in my local gunshop are second hand and I don't know much about them, think they've got Webley & Scott and T Newton for sale mainly.

aya are tidy sxs`s ive owned a no2 a no4 and a 25 :thumbs: