A quick, enjoyable but unproductive trip!

Tyla

On impulse I took a ferret in the stealh box, a handful of nets and Willow with me this morning on the way to a job I was doing with Blackstaff. Once we'd finished, a bit later than expected, I went for a wander round the woods.

The bracken was high and wet but Willow soon marked a bury that looked unused to me, she was convinced though so I started netting up. She was 100% correct as half way through setting the six nets i'd brought a rabbit bolted from an unetted hole a vanished into the bracken. Rabbits 1 - Me 0. I put down the last three nets and dropped Weasle in but, predictably there was nothing else at home.

I carried one through the wood but the cover was just too thick to bolt for Willow. It soon turned into a dog training excercise as there were Roe all over the place and Willow was very interested. I kept her focused on me and we carried on to meet Blackstaff, as arranged, on the other side of the wood. The weather was strange, sunny and rainy in quick succession but it did allow me to get a good (ish) picture of a rainbow.

I met up with Blackstaff and his staff Dolly, a veteran ferreter, and we eventually got a mark on quite a large bury. As we only has six nets and one jill it was a bit ambitious but time was rolling on so we gave it a go. After a lot of thumping and Weasle popping up all over the place a rabbit finally bolted on the opposite side of the bury from both dogs and ,once again, vanished into the cover! Rabbits 2 - Me 0.

We walked back to Blackstaffs car doing one small, and empty, bury on the way.

Overall it was an unsuccessful outing bag wise but I really enjoyed myself. After he'd dropped me off Blackstaff went for a walk with the rifle and managed to find a generator that had been stolen from his lock up on the field over the Summer, the thieves had obviously just dumped it in the woods for some reason, so it wasnt a totally unsucessful day!

post-10910-0-39289700-1350163151.jpg

post-10910-0-07563600-1350163169.jpg

post-10910-0-12682400-1350163183.jpg

post-10910-0-32682800-1350163197.jpg

post-10910-0-10238100-1350163216.jpg

• Like 1

Dontcha just hate them wasted days . Like the time I spent nearly a full half hour pike fishing in vain . What's worse is that i got a wellyfull of river water and all this sort of golden coloured powder got caught in my socks . Bloody uncomfortable !

Nice to see you out and about mate . maybe we'll have a go this season.

I had an hour or two chopping out today on a bank bagged five from what I'd cleared though well me and someone else but I did all the chopping , got another bank to chop where there just laughing at me a good place though small , good to be out but yes some cover this year hey