lurcher wont come back on the lamp

i have a lurcher and no matter wat i do he wont come back 2 me after a run on the lamp he is startin 2 break my balls he just hunts the hole field its getin 2 the stage no one will go lampin with me des any one have any tips thanks

how old his he.if hes young get him on easy rabbits .try and get him out more often .once they click that coming back after he misses then its time to look for another.mine use to do it first couple of times when i first started taking him out.

i feel for you mate. a good friend of mine had a collie cross that did the same thing.

how old is the dog/bitch?

how have you entered the dog to rabbits?

has the dog done much more bushing?

i think you'll have to get creative. theres nothing worse than being out with someone that has to whistle there dog back when lamping. good luck .RAW

Casey-Dont take him hunting again until his recall is flawless in the yard, and then in the park (somewhere with distractions)

Start with a check cord, and move to a hot collar...when he realizes "come" is not negotiable he will be ready to take hunting again. Goodluck.

Take care.

Casey-Dont take him hunting again until his recall is flawless in the yard, and then in the park (somewhere with distractions)

Start with a check cord, and move to a hot collar...when he realizes "come" is not negotiable he will be ready to take hunting again. Goodluck.

Take care.

GOOD ADVICE THERE, NOTHING WORSE THAN A DOG THAT WONT COME BACK, HAD ONE THAT DID IT AND ENDED UP GETTING RID OF IT.
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

Dont chase the fecker or shout most lurchers only responed to recall in non aggresive tone more woman like the better :thumbs: as beeen said work on his recall at the yard or safe area get down on your hands and knees and beckon him in excited manner almost child like squeals etc :thumbs:

ATB Cookie

I had the exact same issue some time ago mate, go back to the drawing board, the way I did it was with a rabbit skin dummy in the hallway, throw it let the dog catch it recall him, he has no where to go except to you. so everytime he does praise praise and praise, use treats cuddles what ever than widen the gap a litte say extend the distance between you and your target(end of hallway) and so on and so on eventually I opened doors to increase distraction put up a baby gate and then we stated work down the field, needless to say next time we went lamping he was perfect in everyday.

i have a lurcher and no matter wat i do he wont come back 2 me after a run on the lamp he is startin 2 break my balls he just hunts the hole field its getin 2 the stage no one will go lampin with me des any one have any tips thanks

dogs are externally stimulated that means that they work off triggers places , smells, sights, your dogs mindset is triggered by the set of events that lead up to lamping so by the time he enters a field , he is in complete drive mindset, and with you having no handle on your dog in this state of mind, he becomes uncontrollable,

when a dog comes for recall at home he is not in Drive, there are no distractions, posts like this usually have a couple of points like ," he's fine at home in the garden or he was trained up to 10 months then he stopped listening to me , the simple thing all those posts have in common is DRIVE,

its been done here a thousand times but a tug item stimulates DRIVE , its the same state of mind where the dog is fecking off round the field in , the same mindset, the uncontrollable one, but instead of starting a pup to focus its drive on us, we create a situation where its in its best interest to be running away from us, it's the mindset where a dog is impossible to control,

Basically controlling the mutt in drive is where i would start, alot of the dog problems on here would not have started if we didn't believe a pup was trained before his drive kicks in and we had more interaction with the dog apart from feeding and walking , just on the feeding note we empty our pockets to give the best of food but dont bother creating an understanding with the dog in its working state of mind, best of luck, pm if want some help,

• Like 2

fine it a pet home you get the pox with it and the dog knows it

I had it mate if the dogs young enough you can break them out of it. Its embarrassing [bANNED TEXT] your with someone make sure the first times he's out are real dark nights no moon if the dog is relying on the lamp this with help you but like the other lads are sayin back to basics I know its a pain but its the only way best of luck mate

if the dog aint been looked at for 7 months then theres your problem hes out and he dont want to go back in get him out more, take him out through the day calling him back when returned try giving him a treat and just keep working like that dogs still young more time spent with him out then think he will snap out of it him self