Chase, catch, let go, chase, catch, let go.....

I have an 8 month whippet x pup. He had his first chase at a rabbit on sat ther and [bANNED TEXT] he got it he let it go to chase it again. He kept doing this untill I managed to get it off him and put it out it misery!!! Is ther somthing I can do in training or do u think he is still to young to be catching? Maybe should I wait till the puppyness is gone!!! As it looks as tho he is just playing with the rabbit!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

he'll grow out of it mate, i wouldnt worry

still to young mate let it be a pup and watch other dogs

I know what its like, I'm itching to let mine go. He is fit and fast, but holding back a couple of months.

I have an 8 month whippet x pup. He had his first chase at a rabbit on sat ther and [bANNED TEXT] he got it he let it go to chase it again. He kept doing this untill I managed to get it off him and put it out it misery!!! Is ther somthing I can do in training or do u think he is still to young to be catching? Maybe should I wait till the puppyness is gone!!! As it looks as tho he is just playing with the rabbit!!!

Our cat does that lol. I have an eight month old whippet, I will not be running him on rabbit until he is at least 10 month old.

Aye, a think waiting is the answer!! It's just hard when u have the perfect opportunity for a first time catch!!!

And "like a cat" was the first thing a thought it looked like!!! Lol gutted!!!!

I know what its like, I'm itching to let mine go. He is fit and fast, but holding back a couple of months.

• Like 1

Is he your only dog? Or is there an older, experienced dog for him to learn from? If not, try teaching him yourself - you will need to be able to run on all fours and pick a rabbit up in your mouth though. he is a young dog, he has to learn and without anyone to teach him, he has to learn through trial and error and practise. For a youngster on his first rabbit it sounds as though he did very well - you have missed the point, eery one of those pick ups he LEARNED SOMETHING. He got more practise at mouthing the rabbit - maybe the rabbit kicked him as he picked it up. At least he didn't give up and he didn't get frustrated and yelp. A GOOD LEARNING EXPERIENCE FOR HIM.

Now, you mustn't overdo it. Take him out again in a week, but don't run 5 - 2 or 3 is ample, keep him wanting more, don't run him until he is too tired to catch another one - a miss at this stage can knock him back and create frustration. 2 rabits and go home, he'll be more eager the next time then, which will increase his chance of catching because he will be fresher and want it more. 8 months is young, but if he can get some easy runs, that won't do him any harm, provided you keep it short and sweet.

Yes he is my only dog! My brother has a lurcher but it is 9 now and is knackered for a day or two after a good days chasing, was great in his younger days tho!! Also a few of my mates have lurchers but Mostly go out at night! I take mine along to watch and learn but I don't know if it would be better for him to watch [bANNED TEXT] it's light!!!