First Gun

Only wanting a gun for rabbit control and was wanting pointing in the right direction as what gun to start with must be powerful to kill rabbits but also legal. I have a budget of around £200 and want the best for my money

Cheers lads

Ferret_uk

Well what are you after my good fellow?

Might I suggest a few to have a look at?

New.. How about a Hatsan 55 or 60S (55 is .177 and 60 is .22). Recently bought one for a neighbour who is regularly using it to despatch woodies and collared doves!

Secondhand... That hunk of money could pick you up a nice HW, something like a 77 or 97, or if you like break barrels an HW95!

A 95 will be capable of humanly killing rabbits at a further distance than you will ever be able to accurately shoot it mate.

It really depends on your skill with a air rifle but as a general rule 10 to 15 yards is short range, 15 to 25 yards is medium range and 25 to 35 yards is normal ranges. 35 and beyond is long range.

The pellet in theory will kill a rabbit at over 100 yards but I don't know anyone who can shoot accurately enough past 70 yards with a springer to keep a group of pellets within an inch in perfect conditions.

Si.

Edited by zini
  • Like 3

put a few targets up say every 5 yards . 20 25 30 35 40 45 and 50.. aim at the same target 10 times then go over to the target and put a 2p over it. if all the pellets are covered your ok at that range but if a few are outside the 2p your maximum range is a bit closer..

for example with my hw95 i can do this out to 45 yards but at 50 they start to spread out too much..

also practice practice practice!

its only fair on the quarry to give it a pain free dispatch with no suffering or wounding.

good luck mate

• Like 3

The 95 is a fair bit lighter than the 77 and 97. I'm hoping to buy on in .22 once my 'new FAC' spending is out of the way.

I have a 97k, and TBH I always end up taking my Ultra out on stalks as it is so much lighter - this is a shame really as the 97k is sooo nice to shoot once your sitting comfortably!

Maybe I need to get a sling... :)

if it shoots under 12 Ft/Lbs you dont need a licence in the uk.

better to be doing between 10.5 - 11.5 than 11.99.. different pellets will give different power aswell.

both the hw97 and hw95 are cracking rifles i have one of each :) the weight isnt a problem for me but a sling is an easy option not too much messing around to fit. or you could have your local gunshop fit one for you

• Like 1