hi from newcastle

hi guys,

im kris and im 28 ive been airgun shooting for about 14 years, a basc member and at present own a fx verminator and bsa s10 both in 22 and a custom crosman 2240.

ive hunted with catapults and fished (sea coarse and game) since i was about 6, i won my current conoflex blast rod in a comp when i was 13 and wont part with it.

any way im going to get my sgc in the next year or so and im a member of another airgun forum.

basically i was looking for gundog training and came across this fine forum and a few members from the agf &bbs.

So long story short ive got an 18month old black lab and hes great but hyper, the thing is the mrs is pregnant with our 2nd and last, and has in no uncertain terms said if he doesnt calm down or start learning hes gone because he is and i do agree (unfortunately) a liability at times. hes brilliant with our 2 yr old,not agrresive, but has selective hearing when he gets excited. i noticed the gundog section and could do with some help.

i hope to have a long and pleasant stay here and contribute where i can, but most importantly, meet some life long friends.

all the very best and thanks for your time,

Kris.

Hi

Have you tried any gundog trainers?

I've got a 1 yr old springer who was a typical springer to say the least however once I started training him and working him he calmed down loads. It sounds like your Lab needs to do what a lab is bred for and that is to work and with it been so hyper is most probs down to been bored hence its selective hearing as gets attention if it ignores you as appose to attention for a good retrieve etc,

Do you work your Lab etc.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

thanks for that gazelle, like i say hes my first dog and i didnt think of it that way, just let him off the lead later on or early mornings. i am hoping to get him to a standard i could take him beating. and eventually out with me on the field

It's deff mentaly stimulation you need to keep a dog calm.

With regards to training to a beating and picking up standard my dogs fine at beating and flushing game however having problems with his delivery.

I would recommend a few gundog training lessons and google gundog trainers in the north east and give them a call. They will give you a clear training plan etc but any questions if I can help I will.

A working dog is a happy dog which results in a happy owner so give it time and patience and you and your Lab will get there

Good luck

• Like 1