A bit of bushing with the pack

My wife broke her leg falling of her horse last sunday so its been a bit of a hectic week daily trips to and from the hospital plus dealing with dogs house etc. Two operations later she came home from hospital on friday so i thought I wouldnt be out at all with the dogs this weekend. I was chuffed to bits when she said she was happy to stay at home alone this morning once i'd set her up on the sofa with the remote, breakfast and a cup of tea.

I took Parker, my jrtxwhippet, and Ollie, my mongrel terrier, I left the two lurcher bitches at home to keep the numbers more sensible. I met herdwick and his grandaughter at the farm, herdwick had the full pack, five jrts bitches and his beddy lurcher Midge.

We set of from the farm with the terriers woking the cover and the lurchers wicket keeping. We held back a bit as four roe ran across the next field flushed by a dog walker, once they were safely out of the way we continued with the first catch being made by Trilby in cover quickly after.

The next was over the railway, a myxi flushed from cover and caught by Midge. Unfortunately Midge didnt manage the retrieve before the terrier pack descended upon her, led by Tanner, herdwick youngest and Ollie, who should know better. This resulted in a mangled rabbit which is one of the downsides of working a mixed pack, it doesnt happen often but when it does its a shame. As this was myxi and mangled it was left for the foxes.

The next two two caught close together after leading the terriers a merry dance in a bramble thicket on the lake bank. The first bolted straight into the pack and was caught instantly, the second flushed twice the first time making a break across the field with Parker and Midge is pursuit, as they put pressure on it it threw a couple of turns in and hit the same bush it had already bolted from. The terriers were on its case though and bolted it again, again it tried to run the field but this time Parker scooped it up on the turn.

My wife is a great fan of mushrooms so while herdwicks grandaughter and I gutted the rabbits he went to one of his best mushroom spots and got picking. By the time we caught him up he had enough to fill both our hats.

We finished back at the farm with three rabbits ready for herdwicks other half to cook into something tasty and enough mushrooms to treat my wife to garlic mushrooms followed by spaghetti bolognese with extra mushrooms for dinner tonight! Sorry about the lack of photos but I didnt think about it til the end.

post-10910-0-49595800-1349624646.jpg

• Like 1

Just ate the mushrooms in a bolognese, would have been nice with venison mince but i've been slacking a bit so it had to be beef. You just cant beat those field mushrooms, a totally different flavour to supermarket ones.

• Like 1