What Should I Be Doing First ?

leeren666

hi everyone, i am keen to begin my journey into falconry and admit to knowing nothing at all, can anyone advise me where to read up on this forum or provide a link to any previous posts that have already asked the question ?

i am ideally looking to help out in the north east/durham area but will settle for book recommendations for now, i dont want to rush out and get a bird r anything until i know exactly what i am doing, also what bird should i be looking at ? are harris hawks a good bird for a beginner or not...sorry for all the questions but i gotta learn sometime :huh:

thanks in advance

Lee

hi everyone, i am keen to begin my journey into falconry and admit to knowing nothing at all, can anyone advise me where to read up on this forum or provide a link to any previous posts that have already asked the question ?

i am ideally looking to help out in the north east/durham area but will settle for book recommendations for now, i dont want to rush out and get a bird r anything until i know exactly what i am doing, also what bird should i be looking at ? are harris hawks a good bird for a beginner or not...sorry for all the questions but i gotta learn sometime :huh:

thanks in advance

Lee

Good attitude Lee, at first mate read, read,read, internet wise, the modern apprentice is a very informative site, books by Martin Holinshead, or James Mckay are a very good starting point, if you can afford it mate a falconry course would be the way to go, if not try to find someone in your locality who will show you the ropes,some people will tell you a Harris is not a good bird to begin with, stating they are too easy and you will not learn a lot about weight control, I do not agree, the only thing I will say mate is that they are very very intelligent birds, and do not like being robbed of their food, so patience is a virtue mate, I wish you the best of luck and Im sure you are going to receive some good advice from the lads on here.
  • Like 2

Ive been told that a Harris is so inteligent it has a habbit of training you and not the other way around if your not carefull, lol.

I have started with a FHH and I can actualy say I have to be one step ahead of her if I can, its terible admiting that your bird has sometimes got the upper hand on you, lol.

HH do seem to be the first hawk a lot of people start with dont they?

I always wanted a Saker Falcon, but was warned off it as a starter bird.

One day mind once my jessy has taught me the ropes, lol.

HH are spos to be good hunting together!

Any of you boys or girls do that?

Must be a great thing to see, two or three HH working in harmony!

I always find that general Hunting forums have a better attitude to helping out beginers in all areas of the hunting comunity!

It is nice not to be made to feel like a lepper, when you ask the obvious questions!

They dont realise that what might be obvious for them, is a nessesary question to ask by us newbies, lol.

If you dont ask, you dont learn!

Better to ask what seem like stupid questions, and get a answer on it, than be affraid to be made a fool of online, and put the health and wellbeing of a bird, ferret, dog etc at risk by doing something and learning the wrong way.

I like to ask questions that I feel other newbies would also like answers to, and are afraid to ask.

• Like 2

I would suggest the bird you want to fly for the next 10 - 15 years as your first bird. Too many are used in the old method of birds for a season and this is surely a social construct from when birds were caught in passage and flown then easily returned to the wild many years ago or possibly in countries where the laws are different.

If you want to fly hawks pick your hawk Harris, Redtail, Gos, Spar etc. If you want to fly falcons pick the falcon you want peregrine hybred, tribred, Saker, Kestrel etc.

There needs to be a change in falconry from this a bird is for a season to a bird is for life not just for a season. Just like the attitude with dogs.

Not saying that those flying birds for work wont be selling birds or those who's circumstances change so that they can no longer care for the birds should not move them on. However not this lets move on the bird as I now want to fly a whatever.

Personally I think Harris Hawks are awesome they fly anywhere and turn their talons to just about anything that moves (granted not good crow catchers unless your mugging them)

Seen Harris take Rat, Squirrel, Rabbit, Hare (not recommended due to risk of injury to bird), pigeon, duck, pheasant, crow, moor hen, there are other things but I have not seen them so have not listed them.