Really glad i asked this ques, im learning a lot! Funnily enough a mate and i were having a conversation the other day (i really need to get out more), about how you never see white dog shite, like i used to when i was a kid. Is it because their is no bonemeal in their food anymore? Is their less bone and meat in shop bought food? Careful, it will make you go blind if you get it in your eye ha ha

IMO "working" terriers should be fed on good flesh, i feed chicken carcasses and chicken necks. I've seen terriers loose all their condition on small digs when fed on kibble, IMO they dehydrate on it and when working hard below ground it's not ideal.

Terriers that are at rest manage fine on kibble but i still give flesh every day or two.

Spot on mate the only thing i would add to this is some form of red meat or add vit B a couple of times a week if the dog is being worked really hard to lessen the chances of the dog becoming anemic as chicken doesnt have enough Bvitamins.

Never heard of the B vits before but i couldn't agree more about the red meat.

I only learned it a year or so ago from a good mate of minewho really knows his stuff when it comes to conditioning dogs.If your who i think you are you was chatting to a mate of mine at the midland last week who had just lost a very promising young dog that i had on my yard for a while through anemia.He was feeding nearly all chicken with kibble.

interesting ds will bear that in mind as mine have mainly chicken deffo a bit of a change in order

Some dogs are more prone to becoming anemic than others just like some people are more prone to it than others.Some will do fine on chicken alonebut if you get one go anemic especiallyif its had a hard do it can go downhill fast so im now of the opinion prevention is better than the cure.If your going to use liquid B12 or similar rather than red meat feed some fat on the days that you use it as B12 is fat soluble so the dog needs fat in the diet to help break it down and get it in its system.

Your right about your mate DS, i was talking about his terrier at the midlands, terrible waste of a good animal.

I've got my old training bible infront of me and i used B5 and B6 all the time when i was training, i'll go through it and find the relavant bits and put it up.

www.paw-rescue.org/.../DogTip_vitamins...

Don't know if the link will work as i'm on my phone, if not google Dog Tip vitamins

Bvits are used to help with food digestion amongst other things, it makes good reading and you'll wonder how you got by without it.

Your right about your mate DS, i was talking about his terrier at the midlands, terrible waste of a good animal.

I've got my old training bible infront of me and i used B5 and B6 all the time when i was training, i'll go through it and find the relavant bits and put it up.

Its the same dog i was telling you about last year that i had down here and to be honest the dog was always hard work to keep in good nick.I found if he wasnt getting plenty of red meat in his diet he would loose condition fast.My mate is a good lad with a dog his dogs are always in real good condition.Like you say a waste of a very promising young dog.

Flesh,skin, bone,tripe cod liver oil tabs from the £shop now and then a good seeded brown loaf, i feed a lot more pork in the winter heads and trotters, never feed all in one... a raw egg on the morning before work

Edited by Glyn.....

IMO "working" terriers should be fed on good flesh, i feed chicken carcasses and chicken necks. I've seen terriers loose all their condition on small digs when fed on kibble, IMO they dehydrate on it and when working hard below ground it's not ideal.

Terriers that are at rest manage fine on kibble but i still give flesh every day or two.

Spot on mate the only thing i would add to this is some form of red meat or add vit B a couple of times a week if the dog is being worked really hard to lessen the chances of the dog becoming anemic as chicken doesnt have enough Bvitamins.

Never heard of the B vits before but i couldn't agree more about the red meat.

I only learned it a year or so ago from a good mate of minewho really knows his stuff when it comes to conditioning dogs.If your who i think you are you was chatting to a mate of mine at the midland last week who had just lost a very promising young dog that i had on my yard for a while through anemia.He was feeding nearly all chicken with kibble.

i give my dogs colovet just to make sure there not lackin in nowt and fatty meat when there avin b12 to help azborb it in there symterm to help agenst anemia when workin hard

Thats 2 things ive taught you today dont let it be said that i never give you anything ol bud :laugh:

is that why ive got half pound bags of minced fatty pork what the chickens and dogs av just in case i take em for a walk and they over do it when i let em off the lead you ole barstard :boogy:

I feed both mine on chicken carcases (£11 per 15kg) and also pork bones from the butchers that I get for about £2 for 4-5kg. One of the plus sides not mentioned yet is the diference in their poo. On the meat and bones its dry and almost crumbly and hardly smells whilst on kibble it really stinks and is very soft which just goes to show that the kibble goes through them way too fast retaining all its moisture whereas the bones and meat get absorbed properly. they definitely have more energy and look healthier keeping a good defined phisique with almost no body fat.

• Like 1

If the poo is drie and crumbly you should feed them a bit less bone or some more meat/ change the meat/bone ratio. The poo should be firm, not dry, not wet.

When feeding raw the dog usually also has to poo a lot less, when I feed kibble it looks just as if everthing that goes in the dog comes out, compared to raw where only very little comes out.

I have noticed in my dog that when only feeding raw flesh (mainly chicken) he will develop a sodium defecit (is that right? i mean lack of). If I supply him a pinch of salt every to or three days I don't notice this. Lack of salt can become visible through exta hairloss, dandruff, scratching.

I feed: chicken carcass, necks, wings, liver, stomach, heart, rabbit legs and carcass, beef (all raw)

Sometimes a dried slice of the darkest bread I can get and some vegies although I do not believe my dog is a vegetarian.

I usually add some olive oil and some omega-3 fishoil as well as glucosamine/msm/chondrotine caps. Once a week I feed a high quality (working dog) kibble to make sure he get's all the vitamins and minerals he needs. A day with kibble a week also keeps the sodium related complaints away.

Edited by Bossie