Enclosed high tower for shooting

Has anyone ever built an enclosed tower for shoothing, deer or anything else. I do not mean a high seat or tree stand, but something similar to this:

high20seat.jpg

Though I would add/change some things:

• Some type of top hinged windows - they would give protection from wind/rain, but leave the option to open and close as needs be.
  • 360 degree outside platform for resting the rifle
  • A little larger perhaps
  • A little stronger

I am toying with the idea of one for the farm to shoot foxes out of at lambing time. It would give some comfort and protection from the elements as well as a raised view of the land which is important given the amount of stone walls, rock outcrops, hollows and such.

I have concerns about building and fixing such a structure properly. The land is shallow, so it may be I would have to affix it directly to the bedrock. I would also need to install guide wires. The site is exposed to quite a lot of wind right off the Atlantic, and there is no shelter from it.

I think these type of structures are more popular on the continent rather than Ireland and the UK but no harm in asking.

John, I read an article not long ago by Robert Bucknall who went to a mates farm and discovered he'd plonked an old ISO shipping container on top of existing storage units and turned it into a home from home - heater, kettle, hinged 'window', everything.

Certainly wouldn't mind spending a night in there... The only problem would be staying awake :laugh:

• Like 1

Too big, no access for it I'm afraid. But I've seen entire "homes" constructed of them online and on TV. They certainly are useful things to have around the place.

Something like in the photo above would be ideal, perhaps squarer and with the changes I outlined. The challenges will be keeping cost down, the foundations, the ground wires and thinking the whole thing out with regard to the wind. Gravity is an unpleasant thing when it's against a person!

I usually leave ideas simmer, if I come back to them I know it's for me, if not then it wasn't.

Cost is surely an issue, timber ain't cheap. My sisters fella is a builder so I might get his opinion on it, the fella I shoot with mostly is a chippy as well.

• Like 1

great idea, id go for something on the lines of this.

id change the legs for telegraph poles

make a window / flap in the back (as the ones i've seen dont have 1 in the back)

get rid of the slide (only if you didnt want it lol)

these can be sorced for around 40 - 70 so would work out cheaper

post-37435-0-70306000-1347753373.jpg

• Like 1

great idea, id go for something on the lines of this.

id change the legs for telegraph poles

make a window / flap in the back (as the ones i've seen dont have 1 in the back)

get rid of the slide (only if you didnt want it lol)

these can be sorced for around 40 - 70 so would work out cheaper

Spoilsport I'd add another slide :laugh:

• Like 2

Wxm,

The wendy house wouldn't last long with the wind we get. I have three telegraph down on the farm but I'm going to use them in a roof when I get around to fixing up an old ruin.

I like the idea of the slide though, need to chase after a fox, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :laugh:

SS,

No trees, well, no trees in the right place! That tower in your post looks close to what I'd like, but a little bigger so I can have room for a log burning stove too, just to annoy TBD :laugh:

• Like 1