ligaments in toe

has anyone had problems with there dog hurting there ligaments on there toe?my dog has knocked a front one last year and a back one last year which have heeled and never caused any other problems but this summertime he chased a rabbit by accident in the day and came back with the two middle front toes fat so i left him 6 week and the swelling had gone and they seemed to have heeled as the others had with a slight hard bump.a few days later i was walking him and a hare got up infront of me and he ran it over some quiet rough ground and when he came back one of the toes that had just heeled was massivly swollen and black and blue but the other was fine so to vets gave loxicom and lay off for 3 month it heeled up and seemed to case no pain but it stayed with a massive hard lump this time,so lastnight i decided to take him out and start to get him fit he ran a few things and seemed fine until he jumped a fence and put front foot on it as he noticed there was a second wire behind the fence he was jumping and the wire twisted and traped the foot when i looked the other toe he had knocked is swollen now. is this dog going to have problems with this all the time? has anyone ever came across this or have any advice?thanks

has anyone had problems with there dog hurting there ligaments on there toe?my dog has knocked a front one last year and a back one last year which have heeled and never caused any other problems but this summertime he chased a rabbit by accident in the day and came back with the two middle front toes fat so i left him 6 week and the swelling had gone and they seemed to have heeled as the others had with a slight hard bump.a few days later i was walking him and a hare got up infront of me and he ran it over some quiet rough ground and when he came back one of the toes that had just heeled was massivly swollen and black and blue but the other was fine so to vets gave loxicom and lay off for 3 month it heeled up and seemed to case no pain but it stayed with a massive hard lump this time,so lastnight i decided to take him out and start to get him fit he ran a few things and seemed fine until he jumped a fence and put front foot on it as he noticed there was a second wire behind the fence he was jumping and the wire twisted and traped the foot when i looked the other toe he had knocked is swollen now. is this dog going to have problems with this all the time? has anyone ever came across this or have any advice?thanks

scotty there is a good chance he will have these problems when run on hard ground ,they are usually inherited from the hound in the animal , but aldo running on bone hard ground is also a contribuing factor and the style he runs in can be . DOES he go flat out or runs n a more steady manner , seen lots with feet crippled but they still seem to try , overly saturated greyhound types do seem to give you more foot toes ligament problems in our lurchers one can neva get a good run with the injury prone animal hence they neva really become top animals atb bunnys..
  • Like 1

My friend had a saluki x snap it's ligament in one of it's toes, he took it straight to Paul Evans at Oldham, he reattached it and the dog was running again in 6 weeks!!. I only use local vets for jabs now, any injuries etc i go straight to Paul Evans, it saves both time and money in the long run. Local vets just want to give you anti inflams and come back in a week!! and arn't really treating the injury.

the first 2 he done were never treated by a vet he was just rested and all went well never to cause any other problems,the next 2 i left and they heeled well with rest but when he next ran one went really swollen so i took him vets just a normal vets but ive tried 2 different vets the second is a man who has ment to have knowledge with this type of problem they all told me the same that the lump is scar tissue and that when heeled the toe should be harder

Sounds like he has weak feet have you seen a greyhound vet?

if any dog runs over a brick etc full pelt in the ground it will hurt its feet i run him out of the car alot and i have no idea whats in the fields an jumping back out onto tarmac and them gateways up here get filled with bricks to stop the mud,this might be the problem but alot of people run dogs off the roads.no dont know of but any greyhound vets and he is not a greyhound

A greyhound vet see's injuries like your dogs everyday and knows how to treat them accordingly. Not like the run of the mill vets who probably see the injury once a year and hasn't a bloody clue how to treat it.

Can't believe you never got treatment the first time the dog was injured to be honest, and running them on tarmac and jumping onto tarmac isn't going to help.

I keep whippets, and a saluki x. The saluki x would run down the M1, but the whippets certainly wouldn't without getting jarred up as they have a totally different running style.

• Like 1

A greyhound vet see's injuries like your dogs everyday and knows how to treat them accordingly. Not like the run of the mill vets who probably see the injury once a year and hasn't a bloody clue how to treat it.

Can't believe you never got treatment the first time the dog was injured to be honest, and running them on tarmac and jumping onto tarmac isn't going to help.

I keep whippets, and a saluki x. The saluki x would run down the M1, but the whippets certainly wouldn't without getting jarred up as they have a totally different running style.

tbh dogs get knocks it did not need treatment as it heeled and never bothered it again the first time and the second time was the same,when he knocked it again and you could tell it was not right he went to the vets,i dont run him on tarmack but when you lamp off roads when they jump back out of the field 9/10 times they will land back on the road i dont always lamp this way but if i want a red i do some people lamp this way all the time