Kelpie/lurcher

When I got mine I was told his dam was a lurcher bred from an austrailian cattle dog,the sire was a racing wippet,he is alot heavier built than I expected,

So its not a Kelpie but a ACD X, quite a bit of difference between those breeds apart from being Australian.

We have quite a few Kelpies on farms local to me, some of them are nuttier than a fruitcake, and sharp with it. Nature or nurture I am not sure :hmm:

Edited by Sirius

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't got much experience but this is mine just entering this season and everything points to happiness so afr.    

these are pictures taken over a seven month period, I had some of him covering nets but cant find them, each to his own but I like my running dog, and if this season goes well I might invest in a bitc

tanxs mate

I am no expert on them I know the farmer above me has a kelpie pure bred,he knows his kelpies he recons its got kelpie in it,I must admit they have similarities about them when I bought it the man of the house was not present,his wife told me the breeding, I wanted a beddy whippet and coudnt find one,so if there's major differences then I bow to your knowledge Sirious,this is the first lurcher I have owned for 30 yrs since I was 15 anyway,when I bought it I spoke to afew people who said get it, it wont disapoint you,some spoke of the huntaway being very vocal,[ mine isnt] the cattle dog being very hardy and the kelpie being similar to the cattle dog in attitude but more agile and a thinner build,its bifficult to know what influence each part of the breed would have on the dog,I know he has no fear switch, a very high work rate ,and is tottally turned on when amongst live stock,he is stubborn at times,you have to be clear what you want,then he will give you it willingly,He is very similar to Levellers dog,2 inch taller and heavier built,he seems to have bulked up more in the last couple of months, I agree nuttier than a fruit cake as you put it but christ when he applies himself,he certainly is not to be underestimated,and he has had that edge about him since being very young,I have 6 dogs of which he is the youngest I recon he is number two in the kennels,he looks up to my pointer and they are best of mates,he backs him,fronts with him when ever they are approached/challenged by other dogs,I would love anyinfo any one could give me on this breed,it facinates me,I am considering a bitch,the only thing I havnt tried with him is blood scenting,I do alot of deer stalking,and own two well trained blood dogs,and I am tempted to have a dabble,just to see,any way I have gone on enough,

cheers

Darren

got some dvd's recently, purdey's progress and lurcher fieldcraft made by dave sleight, he uses kelpie x racing whippet's and in my opinion the dogs turn out to be of a high standard, definitely opened my eyes to this sort of breeding :yes:

I have one of daves he's just coming up 2 year old. He has made a decent enough ferreting dog very obedient but lamping he picks his runs and is half hearted on stuff that's too far away as if he knows he has no chance. He is very vocal about the yard and almost talks to you at times . If he gets a knock he is very pappy about letting you touch him but that could be the collie in his breeding. He is a bit of a jack of all trades but master of none. I think they need a lot of one to one time or they take advantage as the missus can't do nowt with him .

I have one of daves he's just coming up 2 year old. He has made a decent enough ferreting dog very obedient but lamping he picks his runs and is half hearted on stuff that's too far away as if he knows he has no chance. He is very vocal about the yard and almost talks to you at times . If he gets a knock he is very pappy about letting you touch him but that could be the collie in his breeding. He is a bit of a jack of all trades but master of none. I think they need a lot of one to one time or they take advantage as the missus can't do nowt with him .

How much kelpie is in his breeding, the last litter sleights that i saw for sale was 5/8 greyhound 3/8 kelpie.