how to treat ferrets?

thanks for feedback guys,when i had my younger ferret i used to put a ball with a bell in there for him,an he played with it for hours,i used to go to the toilet 4 in the morning and could hear him rattleing around,,i do bring them in the house eveyday,but,,tonight and tomorrow im going to sort the cage right out with all toys old clothes in with theyr hay,,a hammock,,a tube ect ect,,thanks v much for all your feed backs,,very much appriciated

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

two of mine live in here but they spend most their day in the big run. As you can see theve got stuff to do and littertrays make it piss easy to clean out.   Theyre run

If you misses wants a hammock, toys and a blanket. Then that's fine she'll have to buy some.

These things wouldn't go a miss. Bigger cages, as you would expect are better cages. Make rooms, that way you can separate you the cage up into different things as well. At one end, have a "bedroom",

Posted Images

i give mine a roam about on the garden each day when cleaning them out, just make sure theres nowere for them to dig out, or escape out of, because they are escape artisits!! mine sleep most of the day but come to the mesh when they hear the door go, one doesnt come to the mesh so im guessing he is deaf, but im still gonna try and work him, good luck with your ferrets :thumbs:

iv just got home to my misses going mad at me ,,,,,,,,iv got 2 albino jill ferrets the one sleeps alot but the other one runs back and forth the cage constant for about an hour at a time mostly all day???my misses read up on ferrets and seems to think that i should put a hammok in the cage for them toys,,blanket,,as sawdust and hay are no good????and toys to play with??my 2 ferrets are working ferrets they have enough space,fed properly,handled all the time,,,,,whats peoples views???is my misses right??

It is not a bad thing that she is taking a interest in them. I had a hammock in at the summer and the ferrets loved to sleep in it. I have a lagre cage with 5 floors and ramps in keeps them fit (4 jills and vas hob) altough nothing sustitutes plenty of work. I would but a hommock in to keep the mrs quiet and think myself lucky she cared about them. Good luck whatever you do.

get em toys,,tubes,,anything to stimulate em,,even an old paper bag will occupy em,,,,,they love to investigate,,,,,if your ferts goin up n down all day for hours on end,,,its bored stiff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ever spent a night in the cells,,,,,,,,,,,,?,,,i have,,and believe me after counting the window squares about thirty times,,,,it gets pretty borin lol,,,,ATB ,,DAVE

my hutch is 4 ft long and 2 and half ft high,im going to put a shelf/board about a ft and half high,because i havent made use of the space,(looking at it now)ill put a ladder taking them up to the second shelf,with a tube or somthing?havent got that far yet,i got them in for half hour earlia then fed and put them back in,,theyr sleeping now,,

my hutch is 4 ft long and 2 and half ft high,im going to put a shelf/board about a ft and half high,because i havent made use of the space,(looking at it now)ill put a ladder taking them up to the second shelf,with a tube or somthing?havent got that far yet,i got them in for half hour earlia then fed and put them back in,,theyr sleeping now,,

That's the way it's about making the most of the room you have they love anything new and it's good seeing them tearing around

Mine love toys it keep them busy contantly changing over old cerial boxes and egg box s etc for them. They love an old welly too dig into as well.

I change things around so they don't get bored. I have too be careful what I do rig up though as my hob has a death wish so things need too be very safe.

Any boxes that go into the recycling go too the ferrets first apart from any thing like washing powder boxes and that. One goes in the box and digs and the other jumps up and down on top of it funny as hell

My theory is always have more than one ferret, give them plenty of room and give them a dead animal to play with every couple of days. Let them out or get them out as often as you can. Mine love a table tennis ball.

As your misses says it's all a stimulation :D:yes: .

Big cage, shavings, hay, a pipe and fresh food and water is all a ferret needs imo. If the cage is big enough then more toys etc can be added but they soon get bored of them.

People who use blankets etc as bedding do you feed a natural diet or biscuits?

i feed dry biscuit by james wellbeloved gnipper and bunny when its in season .

i spent a good few hours trying to sort their cage out yesterday,iv made a full shelf half way up,and put a ladder for them to climb up ,iv put balls in there,,i put a bit of old clothes in their bedding,iv hung a little mouse up so she can play with it,i also put leaves in just for somthing different,,,but iv just seen her again running back and forth ,she reminds me of one of those bears that have been locked up for too long and gone mental,,,im looking for a bigger cage a 2 teir one so its bigger for them,,,

ITS JUST GONE HALF PAST 4,MY FERRET HAS BEEN RUNNING BACK AND FORTH FOR 6 HOURS APART FROM 45 MINS EARLIA WHICH IT SLEPT,,IV GOT HER IN TWICE TODAY,HER CAGE HAS BEEN MADE BETTER,I AM ON THE LOOK OUT FOR A BIGGER CAGE AS THIS ONE IS 4FT LONG 2.5FT HIGH,AND I WANT A BIGGER ONE FOR THEM,,,,WHATS PEOPLES OPPINIONS? ?

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

I think some underrate the need to keep ferrets fit during the summer ready for the season .

Strange how folk put so much effort into keeping there dogs in shape yest put very little effort into keeping there ferts in shape and take them straight out from the hutch on day one of the season and expect them to work hours :wallbash:

ATB Cookie

ITS JUST GONE HALF PAST 4,MY FERRET HAS BEEN RUNNING BACK AND FORTH FOR 6 HOURS APART FROM 45 MINS EARLIA WHICH IT SLEPT,,IV GOT HER IN TWICE TODAY,HER CAGE HAS BEEN MADE BETTER,I AM ON THE LOOK OUT FOR A BIGGER CAGE AS THIS ONE IS 4FT LONG 2.5FT HIGH,AND I WANT A BIGGER ONE FOR THEM,,,,WHATS PEOPLES OPPINIONS? ?

How long are you getting her out for a day? Yes they do want a bigger cage. Especially if theyre spending nearly all day in there.

Is she in season? What do you feed them? 4ft is not much at all especially if that includes the bedding area aswell, then theres the shit corner lol ;)

She might of just got into this habbit and obviously more time out of cage will help alot, along with new hutch and plenty of things to do.

Edited by joe14