Tales From The Field By Penny Taylor.A review by Inan.

Cards on the table ,I've known Penny Taylor for over twenty years.

So it is with some relief that I can honestly give this book a thumbs up!

In this her second book, Penny gives a brief outline of her early life, but concentrates on her memorable days out, with the various dogs that have shared her life.

She recalls in exciting detail, her successes, and mishaps with lurchers such as Starlight, Lunar, and MIna etc,and little terrier tykes like Midge1,Midge 2 and Sonic.

So this is very much a warts and all, honest recap of hunts.

Penny is being modest when she talks about some of her dogs

For example Mina, whom she refers to as a good hare dog ,was ,in my opinion,a bit better than good.

She won our club's double- handed championship in 98/99, but it was as a single- handed dog that Mina excelled, with her dramatic, fluid style of running behind her hare.

I remember how riveted I was everytime I watched her run.

I have seen ,many of her dogs run in the flesh , but those who have not ,will still get a real buzz from these graphic accounts of their exploits.

Penny has always been fascinated by what makes her dogs tick, and she explains why they react the way they do in certain situations.

This book however, is no dry, theorizing tome.

Recounting in vivid style preban days out with lurchers and terriers , in pursuit of foxes, and rabbits, muntjac hunts ,and bolting foxes to the gun with terriers .

Some exciting hare courses are also re-run within these pages.

I can unreservedly recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in hunting with dogs.

Inan.

Edited by inan
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...