Rifle Choice

Alright lads looking for a bit of advise on my first rifle, Im looking for a .243 with a buget of around £2500 for the whole package. The rifle will be used for 70% foxing and 30% deer stalking. I do like the look of the Sako's and Tikka's and was looking at the Varmint models however talking to a few people I am told these rifles will be too heavy for stalking and that i should look for a rifle that is as lightweight as possible any opinions on this would be helpful. Also wood or synthetic stock I am hearing two different stories, wood apparently swells too much in the rain and synthetic is apparently too light and makes the rifle too muzzle heavy once you get a moderator on there. Ill have to make a decision at some point but the more opinions i can get on this the better, so thats my question what do we all think?

Back home in New Zealand, I have a Tikka T3 and can't fault it in any way at all.

It is lightweight, durable and handles the harsh weather conditions perfectly. It only cost me around $1400 NZD - or 700 pounds or there abouts

What about a Sako 85 Finnlight?

right so synthetic stock it is in Sako or tikka, little unsure about the ss barrel but I do like the idea of a finnlight, scope im thinking Zeiss and Im taking it that its a general agreement that lighter is better for the purpose i want it for?

Thanks for the input guys, Ive taken into account everything youve said ive been to a few gun shops and checked out your suggestions and unless something gets posted that dramatically changes my mind I think Im going to go for the Sako 85 Finnlight with Zeiss Duralyte scope and T8 suppressor.

Just bought a howa 1500 synthetic/blue in .243, 20" fluted barrel, this is my second howa and very happy with both of them, equally as good as my tikka t3 ( IMO ) and they cost around two thirds of the price of a Tikka, which leaves you plenty of cash for a quality scope and accessories.

Edited by foxshooter69

hi foxshooter69 ,ive got a old T3 and about to change i was thinking about a howa but some people say they're crap ,i was thinking about getting the thumbhole laminated stainless in 243,i see you rate them ,does anyone else on here cheers jayr

Cant say about the 243 but we use a 223 Howa 1500 with a Zeis Dyralyt scope Wildcat mod and bipod (unknown) for foxing and it does a great job.

Will say the factory trigger is a bit heavy but its fairly easy to adjust to a lighter pull

You will have lots of dosh left over from ya £2500 budget!