Here's one I can't get my brain round. My friend has an unusual stuffed badger - its head and legs are normal, but its body is creamy-white. The guard hairs are very short or non-existant. He reckons because the guard hairs were white (no pigment) they wear quicker going in and out of the hole and that's why it has that 'shaved' appearance. I understand the principle that the plumage of albino birds tends to wear quicker etc.

The other badger I found dead on the road this March past. Not quite as striking as the stuffed one, but still noticeable enough to make me stop the car and lift it. Again the head, shoulders and front legs are normal, but from there back the body is a creamy white. Again, the guard hairs are very short or absent. Notice the blonde tail. Now, if you know your badgers at all, the back and tail should be covered with long wirey black/grey guard hairs. Not so on this one.

At first appearance these animals appear to be colour mutations, but I'm not convinced. Could it simply be a problem with the quard hairs - take a normal badger and shave off the guard hairs, and what are you left with? Maybe a blonde backed badger?

I skinned the roadkill - maybe sometime I'll get round to getting it stuffed. In the meantime, what's your thoughts?

thanks,

Zek.

I'd say its probably just a colour variation,perhaps the guard hairs are just not as noticable because of their light colouring or maybe they dont have them because white guard hairs would be useless anyway?? I would be very carefull taking any part of a dead badger,as far as i know its illegal and could take some explaining if found in your possesion,especially being a hunter/shooter,they'd be quick to jump to the wrong conclusion ;)

I'd say its probably just a colour variation,perhaps the guard hairs are just not as noticable because of their light colouring or maybe they dont have them because white guard hairs would be useless anyway?? I would be very carefull taking any part of a dead badger,as far as i know its illegal and could take some explaining if found in your possesion,especially being a hunter/shooter,they'd be quick to jump to the wrong conclusion ;)

Thanks for your thoughts. No it's not illegal - as long as the animal hasn't been shot or snared etc.

Zek.

Seen a couple of albinos over the years and know where theres a red and white variation would like to see a chocolate .

Zek could the lack of guard hairs be down to the moult[guard hairs moulting first] or just some genetic difference.

Seen a couple of albinos over the years and know where theres a red and white variation would like to see a chocolate .

Zek could the lack of guard hairs be down to the moult[guard hairs moulting first] or just some genetic difference.

Re the moult - could be something there worth considering. Although it does look very unusual in the stuffed specimen - maybe an unusual moult. Thanks,

Zek.

over the years iv come across albino badgers and a pure chocolate one anyone else sighted anything like this.

On holiday a couple of years ago on the South Downs in Sussex we found a road kill badger that had a ginger head (were the black markings should be) and a off white body,very strange.It was a bit "high" so i left it were it was.