Teckels

I use a few terriers for mooching about, working rabbit, bolting to my lurcher and working rats along the bankings of streams and I'm thinking of getting a new addition in the next year or so as my dogs are starting to get on a bit now and want a pup to pick it up from them.

I've always liked the look of Teckels and wondered if they would be a suitable dog for what i use my dogs for. I know that a lot are used for tracking deer and mine wouldn't get that type of work but I've also seen videos on the internet and read about them being used for marking Mink and rats near streams and I've heard that being a hound they have got a very good nose on them. Just fancied trying something a bit different.

I know a few on here have got them and if anyone has any advice on them working rat,rabbit,hare e.g or any photos...

Cheers, Sam.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought so what there ignorant little yappy shit's there slow your forever dragging them out of holes when your trying to draw cover they never put enough pressure on anything and you need a load to

I wouldnt own 1 and ive seen 3 packs of them and a few bobbery packs with them in so possible around the 30 to 40 mark ive seen, the best laugh i had with them was with a smallish pack think the fella

Why on earth would i want 1 there is far better hounds and dogs out there that can do a better job than them

I got an 8th of teckle in my pup, but she has thrown very much to the teckle in a lot of ways i think, very driven and fairly nuts. Only 4 months though, so when i saw driven i mean in her attitude to the things she encounters rather than hunting.

i have a pure Teckel. Do not underestimate them. they have prey drive by the bucketload, will work to ground, track scent and take on ANYTHIING.

They are like having a miniature foxhound crossed with a patterdale. Epic dogs but need to work and you will spend a lot of your time looking for them - once the switch has flipped its impossible to gt them out of hunt mode.

I adore mine - she is great around the house, works to everything I try her and is a great personality. Lsat weekend I gut shot a rabbit with a .22 at about 100 yards. It flew into the side of a patch of brambles. Took the teckel to the hit point - she got her nose down - took the line straight through the brambles and went down a hole - 2 minutes later she was pulling my shot rabbit out the hole. I reckon we see 500% more wildlife with her around than before - you just don't realise what you are walking past. Hope that helps ? :victory:

Thanks for the reply. I'm very interested in this kind of dog but i want to know as much about them as i can find out before buying one.

Is your dog from working stock and would that be a necessity with this breed or are most capable of becoming good hunting dogs. Obviously i wouldn't be deliberately going for some show bred stuff but I've been reading on the internet and it looks like only a few places in the UK seem to breed these and most are going on about the best hunting lines from Germany etc etc but then I'm seeing dogs half the price on pup websites that still look like crackin little dogs that are saying make great family pets or working dogs?

What i mean is,is it worth going the extra mile and paying an arm and a leg for a pup just to ensure its gunna turn out a good dog or are these 'other' teckels just as capable at working rabbit, rat, hare e.g?

Cheers again.

Sam.

Well you could take the risk and buy a dog that is going to be unproven bloodlines - cost half the amount and then be useless or do it properly and buy imported working bloodlines that will do what you want.

You get what you pay for - why do you think these others are half the price? Give John a call at Darswed - he is a top man and can talk you through it. personally I always buy the best i can afford or go without,

I am very interested in the Teckel...They seem a good dog, and a few friends have been having great sport with them over the last few years.

I know John of Darswed Teckels and his blood seems to be doing the job, a lot of people are happy with his breeding which originates in Denmark where they are worked at everything.

John tells me the Danish pups are familiarised with fox at an early age - He has done some writing recently on his dogs and breeding in a new book which makes for interesting reading.

I do hope to have a Teckel here at some stage in the future.... :victory:

Edited by Fat-Ferret