rentokill technician inquirey

someone i know has had an informal talk with them about a position they have advertised for a technician,although he has no expieriance at all they still seem willing to discuss the position and he may well get an interview,

apparently he will go out with a tech daily and do a weekly test on what he has learnt each particular week on site,after a period of 6 months ish they will give him the required course,not exactly sure which one but on completion he will then be able to start going it alone so to speak visiting sites in a given area with a company vehicle provided.

although the starting wage is not very high he explained that he can get extra bonus for new customer work picked up ie a percentage, as well as company bonus scheme and overtime.

how much money can he realisticaly expect to make as a pest control technician after gaining relevant courses,how would he pick up new work off his own back whilst working his area daily for existing customers and is overtime readily availiable for someone commited to putting the hours in

just a couple questuions if anyone can help

Obviously he will be on minimum wage and be a floater until qualified. If you put the hours in and get your on call fee along with commission, their is a possibility you could earn 18k.

very poor wage for some of the work he would be required to do if you ask me,lets be honest its certainly not about walking lush fields of permission filling your boots on the rabbit population,iv worked with a few over the years,cleaning up pigeon shit all day with pressure washers can be as filthy a job as it gets imo,the lad would want to be earning 25k a year to make it worth his while cheers for the info :thumbs:

They will employ him as he has no experience and can be moulded to their way of working, they will pay minimum wage and expect the earth of him for it. They are quite an aggressive company in the pest control field and expect techs to sell lots of add ons to their very cheap contract prices. They are losing work left right and centre i have heard. Seen some shocking work done by techs which i have had to sort out after we got their contracts, a lot of them are bait box checkers and not much more. I wouldn't work for them.

May be a good start for him to milk training from them but only if it's BPCA RSPH qualifications not their inhouse crap.

• Like 1

They will employ him as he has no experience and can be moulded to their way of working, they will pay minimum wage and expect the earth of him for it. They are quite an aggressive company in the pest control field and expect techs to sell lots of add ons to their very cheap contract prices. They are losing work left right and centre i have heard. Seen some shocking work done by techs which i have had to sort out after we got their contracts, a lot of them are bait box checkers and not much more. I wouldn't work for them.

May be a good start for him to milk training from them but only if it's BPCA RSPH qualifications not their inhouse crap.

nice one cheers for that the RSPH course is about £1000 i think he said,would it be more worth his while paying for this course himself then looking for a position in pest control potentialy giving him higher earnings from the start thanks

The increase he "may" get by doing the course himself wouldn't be that much. Most big companies pay £14500-15500 with or without the qualifications which is feck all. I worked for a large national i started on £14500 and i had already done the RSPH course and after 5years and being qualified up to BPCA diplama part2 my basic was only £16500!!! I averaged 21K with overtime, commisions etc but that was selling anything and everything to anyone who would buy it!! So if he wants 25k i suggest he starts looking elsewhere for a job!

The increase he "may" get by doing the course himself wouldn't be that much. Most big companies pay £14500-15500 with or without the qualifications which is feck all. I worked for a large national i started on £14500 and i had already done the RSPH course and after 5years and being qualified up to BPCA diplama part2 my basic was only £16500!!! I averaged 21K with overtime, commisions etc but that was selling anything and everything to anyone who would buy it!! So if he wants 25k i suggest he starts looking elsewhere for a job!

thanks il let him know atb

someone i know has had an informal talk with them about a position they have advertised for a technician,although he has no expieriance at all they still seem willing to discuss the position and he may well get an interview,

apparently he will go out with a tech daily and do a weekly test on what he has learnt each particular week on site,after a period of 6 months ish they will give him the required course,not exactly sure which one but on completion he will then be able to start going it alone so to speak visiting sites in a given area with a company vehicle provided.

although the starting wage is not very high he explained that he can get extra bonus for new customer work picked up ie a percentage, as well as company bonus scheme and overtime.

how much money can he realisticaly expect to make as a pest control technician after gaining relevant courses,how would he pick up new work off his own back whilst working his area daily for existing customers and is overtime readily availiable for someone commited to putting the hours in

just a couple questuions if anyone can help

its rentokil,and yes they hire idiots who have no interest,is your friend a pest control minded person?if not leave the whole thing alone,much easier jobs with better earnings,also rsph suck my horn 3-5 day luncheon course,yeh real pro's.LMFAO.totally pissin myself.totally...cant beat experience,courses are so so basics.companys offer expierience.even if your not interested in the trade,expierence is earnings relevant,but most pro pest controllers aint real pro.rsph aint pro its very begining foundation,pretty weak 80% pass means 20% fail. yes losers who need it to self proclaim being pro,bumping 1 day! courses and thinkin they are expert,joke is understatement.most techs no nothing more than basics and earn basic,rsph allows cowboys to ride out on genral public,just an opinion.if your wantin to rip off people get money money do rsph and call yourself a pro and pretend you offer a pro service.if its money orientated go elsewhere to earn big

People often confuse the one week intensive course held at Warwick with the RSPH qualification, which is an entry level qualification. It narks me to see people with this basic certificate claim to be 'fully qualified'.

Most national companies will train their technicians themselves to sit the exam; some are even registered exam centres. Once a technician gets to a sensible level of knowledge they will sit the exam.

The exam fee is around £150, not the £1000 that the one week intensive course costs.

Most technicians start off on a basic wage of 14-16k, with overtime, bonus and commission. Some of the guys in london are on a basic of 20+k.

Bonus is typically 3% of job value, with commission at 5-7% for jobwork and 10% for contracts.

Working for a national most technicians would be expected to work flat out - typically 10 routines plus any call outs and follow ups each day.

The advantages of working for a national are that you have lots of support and get to see lots of different problems. I always advise anyone wanting to get into the industry to do a stretch of one or two years with a national first. You also have a defined career path to follow (technician, senior technician, supervisor, manager). The big money in pest control is in scum (oops! sorry, sales) where you get a basic salary plus good commission.

Most technicians earn between 20 and 25k per year. Most people who start off self employed in the industry end up bankrupt and disillusioned.

I work for other company doing pest control and I maybe just saying this due to me loving it, it's a great job and ok you do a fair bit of shite cleaning up however, no other job is like it. I used to be a draughtsmen and will never return to the desk job.

Tell him to give it up and go educate himself or learn a trade that's in demand, in the long run he will see the benefits. Saying that depends what you want out of life and if your happy in a job paying peanuts till the end of your days...

People often confuse the one week intensive course held at Warwick with the RSPH qualification, which is an entry level qualification. It narks me to see people with this basic certificate claim to be 'fully qualified'.

Most national companies will train their technicians themselves to sit the exam; some are even registered exam centres. Once a technician gets to a sensible level of knowledge they will sit the exam.

The exam fee is around £150, not the £1000 that the one week intensive course costs.

Most technicians start off on a basic wage of 14-16k, with overtime, bonus and commission. Some of the guys in london are on a basic of 20+k.

Bonus is typically 3% of job value, with commission at 5-7% for jobwork and 10% for contracts.

Working for a national most technicians would be expected to work flat out - typically 10 routines plus any call outs and follow ups each day.

The advantages of working for a national are that you have lots of support and get to see lots of different problems. I always advise anyone wanting to get into the industry to do a stretch of one or two years with a national first. You also have a defined career path to follow (technician, senior technician, supervisor, manager). The big money in pest control is in scum (oops! sorry, sales) where you get a basic salary plus good commission.

Most technicians earn between 20 and 25k per year. Most people who start off self employed in the industry end up bankrupt and disillusioned.

all good info matt,you have covered it well,if you love the job the money dont matter so much but if your a joe bloggs just wantin a job go elsewhere cos guano clearance in hot restrictive loft voids in full ppe aint funny,well it maybe to the guy who sells it as he laughs with his sales buddys over lunch about your suffering lol.i loved it tho sh*t an all.still do.

I work for other company doing pest control and I maybe just saying this due to me loving it, it's a great job and ok you do a fair bit of shite cleaning up however, no other job is like it. I used to be a draughtsmen and will never return to the desk job.

your just in love with the guano jobs you like hot sweaty situations like me :laugh:
  • Like 1