Hello all. Does anyone have any tips on bringing my 6 month old whippet onto rabbits. He show interest in them and chases but isn't to keen to enter cover and isn't sure what to do when he gets close enough to strike at one. Is there anything I can do to train him or is it a case of being patient and letting him learn?

Hello all. Does anyone have any tips on bringing my 6 month old whippet onto rabbits. He show interest in them and chases but isn't to keen to enter cover and isn't sure what to do when he gets close enough to strike at one. Is there anything I can do to train him or is it a case of being patient and letting him learn?

I don't let my whippets see a rabbit in anger until there at least 9 months old, there still pups even at that age and are both mentally and physically immature. You'll easily ruin a dog running it too young. Dogs are slower to mature than bitches, i'd let him be a pup for another 4 months and then take him out on the lamp for a couple of easy runs.

id get used to looking after one first,maybe get a few seasons experiance under both your belts,then maybe get another,that way you will have an older dog to show the new one the ropes and they wont be any where near the same age,otherwise you will end up with a working team geting old at the same time.ferrets are a good way to introduce rabbits to the dog.dont rush the dog,as mally said early entering can cause the ruination of your whippet.good luck.

• Like 1

Best thing is take it out on the lamp in a couple of months an walk it into the rabbits an let it see them running get it. Spotting its quarry get its intrested in nothing but them an after a couple of weeks of that let go on a squater