Why do they call them 'Puss'?

Guest MOLLY

Can you see her?

I keep getting confused with all the rook feathers in the field at the mo, definately look like the tips of ears :laugh:

Getting closer..

Closer...

Too close :D

MOLL.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:hmm: I wonder if " Puss " is french for Hare?

Alright. Yeah. I'll get me coat ..... :whistle:

Guest MOLLY
Just aswell the dog's where not with you on this little outing.. :victory: ..

Millet

I did have them, i put them back in the yard when i saw her. It was only half grown, it would'nt have stood a chance even with my dogs :laugh:

MOLL.

Just googled it....

http://www.ruthpadel.com/pages/Hare_Hunted.htm

Witches supposedly changed into hare form to suck cows dry. Stories abound of wounds inflicted on hares being found the next day on a woman. It was claimed that a witch in hare form could only be killed by a silver crucifix or bullet. Just as the hunting mystique called the hare "Puss". Scottish "malkin" or "mawkin" means both cat and hare, and hares are strangely interchangeable with cats also in witchy contexts.

Pliny says that people thought that if you ate a hare your body would be sexually attractive for nine days.

Anyone got any good recipies :laugh:

MOLL.

According to M Brander in his book entitled Ground Game, Tideline 1976. I quote "her nick name PUSS for the hare is well earned. Who has not seen a hare slinking with almost feline gait down a wall side, or through a gateway and failed to recognise the resemblance? In the darkness as a car headlights catch her slipping over a wall or ditch, it is often hard to say exactly whether it was a cat, or a hare that was seen".

lepus , latin for hare as leveller said. also us anglo saxons worshiped the hare and called her the puss (cat) of the corn (lepus?) as has been said because of her actions when out in the field.

As for witches changing in to a fimiliar (a witch in animal form) to gain a feed off a cow? who knows :hmm:

I would go with the lepus bit

The myth of shapechanging theres a few tales of maidens that were hares in disguise perhaps if you kiss one it will change back

What do the travellers say if you see a leverret in a field and you think its a stone if it moves its a stone.

Unless youve a camera in your hand of course eh Molly.

I would go with the lepus bit

The myth of shapechanging theres a few tales of maidens that were hares in disguise perhaps if you kiss one it will change back

What do the travellers say if you see a leverret in a field and you think its a stone if it moves its a stone.

Unless youve a camera in your hand of course eh Molly.

Heard similar, if your walking towards it and it gets bigger, its a stone, if it gets smaller as you get closer, its puss :clapper: