deerhounds

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they will probably be more working deerhounds and deerhound x's working than you think ,its just that they are'nt going to tell all ad sundry what they get up to ,alot of hunters keep themselves to t

I think this is an area that is over-iced by some people who have not experienced the breed, but, it has to be said, that even within the breed there are those kennels that are noted for taking longer

another 1st x like charti still like this pic

Posted Images

who breeds the best pure deerhounds in the country today.............is there any pures that still work ,..... :whistling:

If you could obtain an original working type of Deerhound,there would be no real need to outcross it,to produce workers,few lurchers about today would stand up to one,for the work and type of land they were bred for.The KC ruined a once noble breed.There are breeders about trying to redress the situation,how soccessful they are is open to individual interpretation,thus the need to outcross to get the best out of what is now available.The right type in the right kennel are still a most useful tool.
  • Like 2

who breeds the best pure deerhounds in the country today.............is there any pures that still work ,..... :whistling:

If you could obtain an original working type of Deerhound,there would be no real need to outcross it,to produce workers,few lurchers about today would stand up to one,for the work and type of land they were bred for.The KC ruined a once noble breed.There are breeders about trying to redress the situation,how soccessful they are is open to individual interpretation,thus the need to outcross to get the best out of what is now available.The right type in the right kennel are still a most useful tool.

spot on i recon morton couldn't agree with you any more i no platty has pures witch are a racey type he says from old working lines butt have never seen one of his pures work but they are nowt like the big boned things ya see they are prety simler to my 1/2 x i have

Cookland?? Educate me. I've heard a bit about Bill Doherty, seems a credible and respected breeder of working deerhounds. ?

Bill sold his stock to a Mr. Cookland so they are now known as Cookland deerhounds mate :thumbs: , I've still got some Doxhope in my deer/greys though :toast:

• Like 2

Cookland?? Educate me. I've heard a bit about Bill Doherty, seems a credible and respected breeder of working deerhounds. ?

Bill sold his stock to a Mr. Cookland so they are now known as Cookland deerhounds mate :thumbs: , I've still got some Doxhope in my deer/greys though :toast:

Aha, thanks Bear. Yes, got a wee bit in my dog Oscar, his sire was doxhope bred. All the best.
  • Like 1

doxhope is in the sire n dam to my pups and in my other bitch i bread, my mate has a 3/4 bread big bitch racey type she has taken a few year to come on but hasent let him down, but that is the deerhound so laid back and slow to come on (jmo),

lampy

Deerhounds are designed to run the Scottish highlands the highland ground is the worst running ground for a dog imaginable and you cant appreciate it unless you see it and try to walk it.

They are big dogs that have to be very durable with good feet and plenty of stamina to run red deer over horrendous ground they after the chase they need to keep them at bay until the owner catches up or they have to try kill them, hard job never mind after 10 min chase over highland ground.

When people say someone has working deerhounds they are small and racy made! not sure they are traditional working types and maybe what someone thinks they should be like??

Why would you want one for working unless your working heavy heavy hill ground??

In dohertys book he says he worked them often on rabbits, I have worked them on rabbits but only because I was young and it was the only dog I could get my hands on at the time, its more a hobby dog unless used on the correct ground for the dog to work like it was bread to.

First crosses are more of a handy dog for a bit of anything, some people rate them very highly.

• Like 2

Yes I worked my deerhounds on rabbits, and, pretty often, but certainly not as my first choice, I used them like I did the lurchers to keep what I had as a working strain, I had, they lamped rabbits and ferreted and did corn cuttings, a good deerhound is about the same as an average lurcher (on rabbits) Ive also worked them on hare, fox and deer..

As for size.....when deerhounds were doing what they were bred for, they were certainly NOT the size of what we now see in the show ring..the old breed standard (which no one seems to go by) states 28inch for bitches and 30 inches for dogs, NO Doxhope pure bred deerhound was under these dimesions..

• Like 4

Yes I worked my deerhounds on rabbits, and, pretty often, but certainly not as my first choice, I used them like I did the lurchers to keep what I had as a working strain, I had, they lamped rabbits and ferreted and did corn cuttings, a good deerhound is about the same as an average lurcher (on rabbits) Ive also worked them on hare, fox and deer..

As for size.....when deerhounds were doing what they were bred for, they were certainly NOT the size of what we now see in the show ring..the old breed standard (which no one seems to go by) states 28inch for bitches and 30 inches for dogs, NO Doxhope pure bred deerhound was under these dimesions..

Buy a first cross collie/gray for rabbits, waste of time trying to keep a working strain by running them on rabbits in grass parks they will never show you if they are up to the original job so whats the point??

Seen your doxhope dogs run few times on white hares, In my opinion they done well but no better or worse than most of the more serious coursers dogs on the hill.

Am I write in saying they originated rosslin bred dogs?

i have one of trevors bitches,she can most definitely work but an open forum is not the place for discussing that.

If nobody keeps working deerhounds,where will the blood for crossing come from?

post-22763-0-12840800-1342252828_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ha, ha, ha Did more than running rabbits..

What I did on the hills or on the fens with the stuck up deerhound crowd was just a fraction of what my dogs did, If you did see my dogs there, you saw about 1% of what they were capable of, and what you will of seen, was my dogs killing a hare on every course they had in every competition they were entered in, they were killers not coursers..deerhound coursing with the deerhound club was another piece in the jigsaw that kept my dogs working dogs....but, like you say...what was the point..

• Like 5