walking the canal with gun

when out for a few hours to try out the s16 with my lads (disaster from the start) they even nearly scared the cows & sheep off :censored: :censored:

anyways long story short a farm i have perm on is seperated by a canal, so i have to go on the toe path along the canal 75 - 100 yards, should the gun be covered on the toe path or am i ok to keep it out of the case?? :hmm: :hmm:

only reason i ask is i had a few odd looks from a few ramblers :blink: :blink: and wondered where i stood if they called the plod :thumbs:

cheers

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would`nt even bother taking it uncovered . I too , as many do , ring into the police whilst shooting , but to carry it uncovered is irresponsible . I wouldn`t even bother as it could be courting dis

Bang on mate! I was walking from my car the other day to my front door, no more then 45 yards.. Got my rifle out the boot in its case and started walking towards my front door when my super annoying

In a case , unloaded , with mag ( if appilcable ) in your pocket stored away from the gun .

both replies are wrong, there is an age restriction for having a gun uncovered in a public place, which ,i think covers a towpath, the bit you have to prove is having a reasonable excuse for having the gun with you uncovered, other bit of law that covers this is not being a nuisance to others using the path, if you look up the laws properly you will fing that it is in fact legal to carry a gun, its the shooting of it that can cause problems, check on the BASC website for more on airgun laws, wish more plods would do this as well

both replies are wrong, there is an age restriction for having a gun uncovered in a public place, which ,i think covers a towpath, the bit you have to prove is having a reasonable excuse for having the gun with you uncovered, other bit of law that covers this is not being a nuisance to others using the path, if you look up the laws properly you will fing that it is in fact legal to carry a gun, its the shooting of it that can cause problems, check on the BASC website for more on airgun laws, wish more plods would do this as well

There`s no age quoted . Also on a canal towpath ( which the OP states is not his premission ) SO -

In a case , unloaded , with mag ( if appilcable ) in your pocket stored away from the gun .

•  

Where you can shoot

Where you intend to shoot, always ensure that you are authorised by the landowner or person with the sporting rights and that you know precisely where the boundaries are. Get permission in writing, if possible, to remove any doubt.

Whenever you are in a public place you should carry the rifle in a gun cover and always ensure that it is unloaded and not cocked.

this bit is guidance

It is an offence to fire an air rifle pellet beyond the land where you have permission to shoot, unless the occupier of the neighbouring land has also given you permission. Where someone under 14 is shooting, both the young person and the supervising adult can be prosecuted.

It is also against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if this results in someone being injured, interrupted or endangered. These offences could be committed, for example, when someone is shooting in their garden close to a road and the pellets ricochet onto the highway

this bit is law

• Like 1

There`s no age quoted . Also on a canal towpath ( which the OP states is not his premission ) SO -

•  

bllx, try reading up on law before giving advise

• Like 1

Neil bud you try walking down your local high street with your gun under your arm. Then when armed response turns up just say its only a guidance to have a rifle covered in public FFS

Follow busters advice OP in public covered unloaded that way you'll keep your rifle not have armed response jumping all over you

Neil bud you try walking down your local high street with your gun under your arm. Then when armed response turns up just say its only a guidance to have a rifle covered in public FFS

Follow busters advice OP in public covered unloaded that way you'll keep your rifle not have armed response jumping all over you

Hmm it's just a pain with the s16 with having to strip it but I'd rather strip it than lose it :)

Hmm it's just a pain with the s16 with having to strip it but I'd rather strip it than lose it :)

Can't you just get a full size gun bag for this perm so you don't have to strip it every time you go near the canal?

Atb, Mitch

I had a problem on tuesday night .I thought I'd go for mooch .so I get to my perm about 5.30 pm,park the car get wellys and jacket on take the gun out of the boot .open the gun case and take the lens caps off .now this has taken me about 10 mins .now were my perm is it's quite a respectable area so I try to be as indiscreet as possible.but someone has clocked me ,so as I'm walking over to the field the police turn up ." oi come yer you" he shouts .so I stop ,they both come over and explain that someone has been seen waving what only can be described as "barratt 50 cal sniper rifle".so I tell the officer that the rifle in question is air arms s410 carbine and if he let's me take it out of the bag I'll show him.so I show him the rifle and my permission slip,so at this stage I think every things all right ,but no ,because someone has reported this ,and I can't prove that the gun hasn't left the case ,they have to report this to there Sargent ,and it's up to him if it's a caution or court case,because it's a firearms offence.just keeping my fingers crossed .but this just goes to show how careful you have to be in front of Joe public.

couple of replies, 1 the OP was`nt walking down a high street, he was on 1 of his perms that has a public right of way on it, if he`s using it for access he does not have to cover his gun when on, or within 50 feet of it, just not shoot his gun, and to springer, you have an uneducated plod being a prick, most of then try it on hoping they can get brownie points over you, join basc if you want proper legal advice and if your on an iffy perm just call it in to the police control centre and ask for an incident number, i lamp over a few places within full view of town and after calling it in never get any problems altho i do get told the next day how many times it has been reported in, suppose it depends on where you live and how many problems there have been in where you shoot

Wrong Neil read the op again the canal is not his permission land it separates the farm it's a public towpath same as public footpath same as public high street notice a common theme here I'll give you a clue PUBLIC if your seen on PUBLIC land with firearm your in the shite.