Range

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Each individual should be responsible for their shooting, if you know you cant hit a target at 60yards you shouldn't be trying it, but if you can do it on paper (paper is a must first) then i cant see

Bit offensive telling an infantry lad to stick to potatoes and paper, 25 - yrd rabbits dont come close to the power behind the rifles used on tour at larger targets in wind!

Ummm I must be one of the irresponsible shooters then mate, sorry .   I must have had different military training from you though .   I killed a woody today clean out on camera with a highly tun

Posted Images

Hi guys, would like your views on the range you would take rabbits with a sub 12ft,lbs air rifle, now im happy with my groupings on paper at 40 yards and can still group 1/2inch at 60 with a bipod. However i always get alarmed when i hear people taking 60-70 yard shots i feel its not responsible shooting due to the affects of wind and other variables, this may just be down to my military training and experiance. what do you guys think??

:fool:

Hmm... well as i said my groupings are 1/2 inch at 60 yards on paper with my logun axsor so thats good enough to attempt these shots i guess, most of my shooting has been with live rounds and maybe i dont give these air rifles as much credit as they deserve. i find that wind affects the pellets alot tho and if i dont get one shot kills i kick myself lol, also i do shot in all weathers, id like to see some pics of 70yard groups with what rifle/pellets you used. thanks for the imput guys good to see a difference in the responses.

Edited by soldier1

probuk i wasnt saying i dont belive you guys can group well at 70 yards im simply wondering on what pellet/rifle combo you used. i have no problem shooting targets at that distance i just havnt taken live quarry at that distance because i choose to get closer.

probuk i wasnt saying i dont belive you guys can group well at 70 yards im simply wondering on what pellet/rifle combo you used. i have no problem shooting targets at that distance i just havnt taken live quarry at that distance because i choose to get closer.

And you find it Alarming and Irisponsible.?

Your best off sticking to paper & potato's buddy..no offence...This after all is a Hunting Life Forum.I wouldnt want to see you getting All Alarmed and upset. Youl read plentey of the lad threads boasting good long range kill shots and why not if they can do it. I dropped a rabbit at 82 yards recently with a .177 in windy conditions...how do you feel about that.? Not somthing iv done often but i felt like doing it at the time.

Marty.

Edited by Probuk

Fella ive put 7.62 rounds into humans over 600m, i do however get upset when people give airguns and our sport a bad name by taking chance shots, ive just spoken with a top hft champ and this is his view ''Having competed at FT against the best there is i can tell you a clear round (targets up to 55yds) wouldn't happen very much if those target were all 1" not 40mm (1 1/2") now 1" is too big a kill zone for much of the quarry that might be taken and in FT you get to settle yourself into the best shooting posisions and time to shoot at a vary unaware steel target.

I have yet to meet the guy who can take a single shot without rangefinding every shot and place it within 1/4" of its intended target with a 12 ft lb gun any range up to 55yds. This would give a reasonable garantee on a 1/2" kill zone. Now if you can do this i promise you will win just about everything you enter in FT and HFT day in day out.''

see you at the next round dude :bye:

Fella ive put 7.62 rounds into humans over 600m, i do however get upset when people give airguns and our sport a bad name by taking chance shots, ive just spoken with a top hft champ and this is his view ''Having competed at FT against the best there is i can tell you a clear round (targets up to 55yds) wouldn't happen very much if those target were all 1" not 40mm (1 1/2") now 1" is too big a kill zone for much of the quarry that might be taken and in FT you get to settle yourself into the best shooting posisions and time to shoot at a vary unaware steel target.

I have yet to meet the guy who can take a single shot without rangefinding every shot and place it within 1/4" of its intended target with a 12 ft lb gun any range up to 55yds. This would give a reasonable garantee on a 1/2" kill zone. Now if you can do this i promise you will win just about everything you enter in FT and HFT day in day out.''

Heres a forum for ya www.lunatics.com
  • Like 1

He does have a point.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The chances of wounding are obviously greater as the distances increase.

Nothing against anyone on here, but I do think a lot of people take long shots and post them on YT as if to say "look at me, I'm awesome", when they could have just stalked closer (which also takes a fair amount of skill).

But, if everyone thought the same the world would be a boring place, this is just my view on it.

Edited by Flow

He does have a point.

Nothing against anyone on here, but I do think a lot of people take long shots and post them on YT as if to say "look at me, I'm awesome", when they could have just stalked closer (which also takes a fair amount of skill).

But, if everyone thought the same the word would be a boring place, this is just my view on it.

Agree +1

He does have a point.

But, if everyone thought the same the word would be a boring place, this is just my view on it.

Agree +1

Agree +2

And you find it Alarming and Irisponsible.?

Your best off sticking to paper & potato's buddy..no offence...This after all is a Hunting Life Forum.I wouldnt want to see you getting All Alarmed and upset. Youl read plentey of the lad threads boasting good long range kill shots and why not if they can do it. I dropped a rabbit at 82 yards recently with a .177 in windy conditions...how do you feel about that.? Not somthing iv done often but i felt like doing it at the time.

Marty.

Bit offensive telling an infantry lad to stick to potatoes and paper, 25 - 80 yrd rabbits dont come close to the power behind the rifles used on tour at larger targets in wind!

• Like 2