teaching a terrier to bush and work..?

when its a pup give it some fresh rabbit skins to play with play tug of war with it pups love when you take it for a walk take a rabbit skin and hide it in cover not too deep at first to start with nice and easy and tell the pup well done when it fines it make it a game i allways say find it when it starts to retrive it try placeing the skin in deeper cover this what i did with my plummer and shes smashing into brambels and bushed lots of rabbits out and shes only 7 months old when your terrier starts working cover keep your lurchers on slip at first then the lurchers will leran when the terrier gose in somthing comes out some will take to it easy some will not all the best lee :victory:

• Like 3

I brought a few terrier pups in to bush for lurchers years ago and it was a fekin nightmare getting them to work cover as all they were intrested in was wat the lurchers were up to and getting their teeth into wat the lurchers picked up just glad looking back i went on to spaniels terriers are ok as long as they dont have distractions.

ted

• Like 1

quote name='poacher3161' timestamp='1341623423' post='2703345

I brought a few terrier pups in to bush for lurchers years ago and it was a fekin nightmare getting them to work cover as all they were intrested in was wat the lurchers were up to and getting their teeth into wat the lurchers picked up just glad looking back i went on to spaniels terriers are ok as long as they dont have distractions.]

great post mate and ive had a couple of smashing bushing dogs that i have trained from pups and your 100% right about bringing lurchers or any other running dog.i would never start a dog working with the lurchers AT THE START as any pup will copy what the bigger dogs are doing.what i mean by that is if you have lurchers that are going round the edges of cover waiting for a bolt, the terrier will soon think thats what he has to do as well.You need to start the terrier off with preferably another already bushing terrier or spaniel that is going deep into cover. Keep any dogs that do not work cover well away untill the terrier knows what he is expected to do.ie work cover to flush rabbits out to the waiting running dogs .If you dont do this and ive seen it in other peoples terriers all you will end up with is a terrier that may go into cover if he sees a rabbit but also feels that he should run around the edges as the bigger dogs do.I personally wouldn't be happy with a dog like that, i want my terriers to go deep into any type of cover and not be interested in what the sight hounds are doing in the open.Believe me if you get a terrier doing his job right from the start and you hear him sound and crash through the thickest cover and your running dogs are racing round waiting for the bolt into the open.I feel there is no better form of hunting for the sheer buzz it gives you.My opinions of course others may not agree "

• Like 2

I spend most of my days bushing with the terrier and 2 lurchers, but have only trained one terrier to bush so am no expert. But my tips, for what they're worth, are -

Make sure you train a command to get the terrier to go in to cover and teach it to go where you point, too, so that if you see a bolting rabbit going into cover and the terrier misses it you can direct it, quick (I say 'go see' and point and in she goes). Also at some point, when your terrier clicks with it all, you're likely to have trouble getting it back - once they start they're not keen to stop. I dealt with this by going out when I had all the time in the world, waiting for the terrier to come out of cover, calling her to me and then sending her straight back in until she was knackered. She soon got the idea that me calling her wasn't necessarily the end of her fun.

I had to be patient, my terrier didn't really get cracking until she was between 12-18 months old although my inexperience may have held her back. Now she has the idea she's very useful and I get asked to bring her along when we're ferreting because she increases the size of the bag.

I do also spend a bit of time waiting for her to reappear when she's gone to earth - I know some people train their dogs only to go down on command but I never managed that. She's not from any special lines - dam is a farm terrier and sire is a show dog, but like people say, terriers can't help themselves. She's scrappy and a bit aggressive with other dogs but very useful, responsible for a lot of our catch and sleeps under the duvet every night!

• Like 1

Ps, teach 'bring it' and 'give', too, otherwise if it catches anything for itself it'll stay in cover and stuff it's face! Here's mine with her first solo catch -

DSCF9051-1.jpg

Sorry if I'm teaching grandmothers to suck eggs, just so delighted with her!

• Like 2