Coursing Dogs

ive found if their doing day and night work from youngsters then theres not so much of a problem but if they have only been used for daywork and suddenly you use a older dog or pup on the lamp you can get a fair few accidents .got the vets bill from last year to prove it, never did much lamping with my two youngsters as only really keep them for daytime ,but started them late in season on the lamp and tbh shut my eyes every time i slipped them the one cost me couple of quid under a grand in the vets and the other will not be running the lamp this year as he is crazy behind anything and bad enough in day when he can see where he his going but on the lamp he just goes through or over anything that he runs .

so what would ye expect a lamp dog to do, pull up or go around stuff?? :icon_eek:

i would expect a lamp dog to be more educated when running the beam .up untill a few years ago all my running dogs lamped and coursed daytime but over the last few years i only run daytime and hence my two running dogs do not really know what lamp work is all about and on the odd ocasion they do have a odd run down the beam they tend to run the same as in the day and as the one especially is a very good daytime dog i do not see the point in risking injuring him just for the odd nights lamping plus the amount of times i lamp they will never become proficent at the lamping game .

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use my dogs for all hunting.  I know several men that have excellent daytime dogs that are also top drawer on the lamp. Thre is a school of thought that lamping a dog encourages it to pull up at

they are hunting dogs pal, take game day or night what goes on in your heads

well if your lamping dog doesent hit hedges i wouldnt rate it much its a must for me in a lamping dog,seen some great coursing dogs work the lamp very very well pal,great way of getting them fit, geti