Hounds and Shoots

When is the Best time,to get Hounds onto a Shoot ?Pre Shooting season or End of season ?

How do you go about getting a good team?

Big Hounds or small ones,which would be best for clearing out vermin ?

Under Scottish legislation....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your Not trying to tell Me ,hounds used for Fox Control are not Hunted by Real HOUNDSMEN/TERRIERMEN..   Go Ask the HILLPACKS & some of the Best Diggin' men in the U.K.   In fighting the BAN !

Very polite.............what you should have said was "PISH!!!!"I'm sure any keeper would be happy to see hounds run there ground before they have birds in the pens ad then again after the shooting se

I hear what you're saying BD but the member was asking about Scotland and that's the way the law dictates to them to work hounds so if it's with guns or pack up completely then I'm glad they are still

Posted Images

What about

Hounds in;

Week after Cock day, then another visit Mid Summer,dens checked regular and on sightings of vermin.

Visit before Pens filled with knew birds.

Hounds recommended by Happy Shoot Captain/Keepers..

Big Blocks/Open moors. Hill country , Hounds .

Small shoots,tight whins, Harrier,beagle Xs' , Terrier pack.

Would that sound,about right ;)

• 2 months later...
Guest Leveller

I hear what you're saying BD but the member was asking about Scotland and that's the way the law dictates to them to work hounds so if it's with guns or pack up completely then I'm glad they are still going and lets face it guns can jam, people can miss, and cartridges can be faulty :thumbs:

• Like 3

People who use hounds to hunt fox for gun clubs or gun men are not real hound men I've no bother with gun men each to there own but leave them use gun dogs with there guns

Load of rubbish.

Very polite.............what you should have said was "PISH!!!!"

I'm sure any keeper would be happy to see hounds run there ground before they have birds in the pens ad then again after the shooting season. Any foxes sorted on a shooting estate by hounds to guns is a bonus.

• Like 4

post-73658-0-86615700-1347539811.jpg

Your Not trying to tell Me ,hounds used for Fox Control are not Hunted by Real HOUNDSMEN/TERRIERMEN.. :laugh:

Go Ask the HILLPACKS & some of the Best Diggin' men in the U.K.

In fighting the BAN !! the The Submissions against The BAN ! INCLUDED some of the biggest diggers in the U.K.go read it !

The Scottish Parliament ,Certainly DID !! that's why the LAW in Scotland ...Differs from the rest of the U.K..

As for myself,I'm a P***sh shot. :yes: but I do like to see Hounds working ;)

• Like 5

No ban in Ireland so hounds hunt legally fair enough is some one is out fox shooting but it annoys me that hounds are used to flush cover so they can be driven out and shot

Tough...............its vermin control and very effective method.

People who use hounds to hunt fox for gun clubs or gun men are not real hound men I've no bother with gun men each to there own but leave them use gun dogs with there guns

Re: your pm..Have Read post again..No one I know of hunt for Clubs. Fox clubs,Gun packs call them what you want ..Hunt Hounds no different to anyone else..the Difference is the Inbetween game.ie; Guns will TRY to stop a Fox...the end is the same wether it goes to ground or is Shot on the move ..The LAW states in Scotland it must be DISPATCHED as soon as ...

There is no Gunmen waiting to get out with Hounds to get a Bit of shooting...it could be a LONG wait..most of the time Keepers etc..can't Rally enough to cover all the Area to be controlled,But I.M.O. one of the best means of control of a Predator of Birds & livestock...

As for your Hunt service I have no idea who you are, so therefore can not comment if you know abit or not ..Atb ..in Hunting your given way.