hunting the hills

use to be moving with rabbits at cafrae mill back in the nineties :thumbs: we had a walk round it 2 years back never saw any rabbits at all shame really . i remember being on that land with a half cut keeper that had been in the hotel till chipping out time [bANNED TEXT] taking us out lamping off a quad bike the fields were moving with rabbits in their thousand,s .

We had a farm there too, rabbit heaven, we travelled up there 2-3 times a week lamping, ferreted there too, best place Ive ever had for rabbits, then, they put the fencing and drop in traps, there are hardly any rabbits there now, last year we had a look up, saw more rats in the fields than we did bunnies..

:yes:Them Scottish Hills were a paradise....

Scotland,..'God's own Country'... :thumbs:

Got to agree..longnetted there in the late 60`s, lamped there from the 70`s, seen some good bags caught, and also some dogs sickened and carried off them thar hills..

hunted and pestcontrold there for years , all over there with an old series 3 landi and a subaru ,used to take the saluki lurchers up there to get them started boy did they learn a trick or two ,hunted hard up there then the grant for setaside stopped the rabbit boxes came in wire rabbit fencing was put in , and they just dwindled , got alot of boys from over the border to get a rabbit , some with dogs some with shooters , i used to think fech all that traveling for a rabbit, but it was poluted ,at one time got vids of them up there ,if there was ever a place were you could cacth a hundred with a dog, shoot a thousand if you wanted to that was it ,we used to go round in subaru or landi, take 20 or3o give it a few hours or go else were an do the same again , but never thought brilliant as there were lots ,but on my doorstep there were lots of hares thought more a task to do three single than a big bag of rabbs at times guys but great sport

Edited by BLACKWATER...

you will not see rabbits like that again jock ,was out one nite with a couple of crack shots they done 700 plus bullets in, never saw so many rabbits i ferretd one warren one morning 27 rabbits , up on the tops there were thousands ,best season wee took 3500 plus with dogs ferrets nets , odd day box trapping, on e old farmer who just left it to go to hell wee took thousands , it was scary to put a lamp on and droves just heading in ,got pics here of a subaru pick up filled to the brim going to game dealer butcher several times , got fed up of it tho ,price crap ,went back to more profitable game, but for a few years it was a good crack , and took several helpers from down south local, had kittle there one day rake aboot , d slieght , ian clay , mates of mines local , any fecher who could set a net or carry a load , we used to hock them to posts get old series 3 landi and pick them up ,got stuck afew times to all in the fun of it ahah

Edited by BLACKWATER...

aye your right bud never see that again,my dad and his mate used to come up most weekends and shoot 150 catridges between them in a day no bother,had a few laughs with a couple o boys who there dogs would run all night 2 fields and they were back in the car fecked,did you have either a bedlington or a fell with you when you came up spoke to a few boys from the north east when i was there

no collie lurchers and saluki cross, not from north east,scotland, edinburgh eastlothain , some nites we drove round hole estate one dog in one dog out gave them turns had great sport , had shooting guys up many a nite,running with with the dreaded poaching lurchers ahah, they feching enjoyed it , used to go to pub in oxton then away for a shine , great days and nites