Beddy Whippet for Bushing...

Has anyone got a beddy whippet predominantly for bushing and pushing stuff out of cover?

I've got a terrier now and she is good at her job and I am really fond of her but when not working she is a pain in the arse. Just in general, bouncy, yappy, mental etc.

Yeaterday the dogs didn't get a walk for the first time as we were out all day for my girlfriends birthday and this morning the terrier was going bezerk. Then she's pulling and choking herself on the walk. Etc.

My lurcher is the opposite. Really chilled in the kennel and run, chilled out walking and when told to heel. But then when we get to a field and she's told to get on she is a different dog.

If I could have a dog with the steady temperament of a lurcher which will bush and mooch like my terrier I would be laughing. Would a beddy whippet fit the bill?

Gaz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How old are you ,about 14? You went on the thread about Sankey's dogs , giving opinions of dogs you have never even seen run. Made a total prat of yourself on there, slaggin off a great bitch, got

every man to his own but i tell you buy it or not i have been around working dogs all my life 5o odd years and i would take your money off you and worked terriers and bushing dogs on all sorts of land

Get a working Cocker bud.

Nope ,, but well worth the effort Jai. Mines works cover like nowt I`ve seen. He`s 10 now and WILL work till he is totally exhausted if you let him. He`s always been a beating dog, not a picker up, just never did it, but feck me I`ve seen him push a bird out of a covey that 2 labs had just been through,

If it`s a bushing dog, a Spaniel has to be the top choice,

Or a cute little hound terrier cross !! :whistling:

For me if it wasn`t a Cocker, it would be a beagle teckel cross. :yes:

• Like 1
Guest born to run1083

Being honest I don't have much experience with cocker or springers.

Jai do you recon when they are fully mature they can work tight bramble cover as well as a terrier type or do they have limitations due to size. I know they have the work ethic.

To the poster I was out with a beddy whip yesterday and there was no cover it couldn't work, couldnt fault the dog really. I think it's a matter of own preference with bushings dogs many a breed and x will and do do it lol

Sorry to jump on this guys thread but it's kind of in the theme of things.. Has any one experienced a Teckel working cover?? Or are they more for scenting and tracking?

seen them teckels on the terrier section in a vid that said graphic didnt look upto much 2 dogs took a hammering on a shot fox

i have a first cross beddy whippet. when in a field with rabbit/game in she works running up and down nonstop, sometimes she smells the scent of the rabbit before she sees him and doesnt look around so misses the rabbit. but she is a great dog and is like your lurcher, very freindly and nice in the house but when games afoot she is a different dog. my mum always comments that she couldnt imagine her wanting to kill things lol. she has just started getting deeper into cover, nettles etc. i probably should get another dog as when she is in the cover flushing them out and they bolt and are in cover before she is out of the cover. i need a proper running dog for this, so this is what you have got, so jobs a good un in my eyes. she only has the terrier attributes when working, nose cover etc and isnt as noisy as the family and a relatives terrier, who are like you descirbed, noisy etc. mine never barks unless she hears something outside. maybe the whippet calmed the terrier down i dont know, but i think i have the best of both worlds in her really. i have heard beddys are quite laid back and non terrierish in behaviour, but i dont know as never had one if you do go for one, make sure you get one from a good working beddy obviously. hope ive helped you out, probably rattled on :laugh::thumbs:

Nope ,, but well worth the effort Jai. Mines works cover like nowt I`ve seen. He`s 10 now and WILL work till he is totally exhausted if you let him. He`s always been a beating dog, not a picker up, just never did it, but feck me I`ve seen him push a bird out of a covey that 2 labs had just been through,

If it`s a bushing dog, a Spaniel has to be the top choice,

Or a cute little hound terrier cross !! :whistling:

For me if it wasn`t a Cocker, it would be a beagle teckel cross. :yes:

I agree, a good cocker, is a very good dog to have around, and it's up on my list of soon to be's, I've always had spaniels around and a miss them. However, what i can't be doing with, is a spaniel chasing, or making noise, and thats what i want in a 'bushing' dog. For me spaniels and bushing dogs are slightly different things (in what i expect of them personaly).

As for cute. . . .well she's cute when shes asleep or tired, the rest of the time shes trying to kill everything haha, some drive on her. Good nose already, house trained and pretty biddable, likes to retrieve etc. But fiesty as hell, and no fear at all.

Being honest I don't have much experience with cocker or springers.

Jai do you recon when they are fully mature they can work tight bramble cover as well as a terrier type or do they have limitations due to size. I know they have the work ethic.

To the poster I was out with a beddy whip yesterday and there was no cover it couldn't work, couldnt fault the dog really. I think it's a matter of own preference with bushings dogs many a breed and x will and do do it lol

R.E working tight cover, in all honestly i have seen plenty of good working cockers that have not been much larger than a bushing terrier, and to be honest they have all smashed their way through everything, including tight bramble, hedgerows, reeds etc.

Wouldn't rate them then? Suppose a video only tells half a story though. Would be interesting to hear from anyone who works them..??..

They are still used by many to dig badger (legally) and fox, and also work boar etc.

My Cocker works through the thickest bramble. He just barges his way through. He is built like a brickshithouse though.

If you get a Cocker get a full on working Cocker,

Agreed, the blood is important. But that ups the stress haha.