harris hawks going for peanuts

mickmck

It wasn't that long ago a large female Gos was about £2,000 and a male £1,000, going the same way as the Harris Hawk, loads breeding and pricing to sell. Albidus is the new 'want' now and the new Rolls Royce!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On a serious note i personaly think the shite will hit the fan as far a Goshawk's go..folk will sharp get sick of the tantrum's they throw..they will also be a big rise in the Goshawk population in th

It wasn't that long ago a large female Gos was about £2,000 and a male £1,000, going the same way as the Harris Hawk, loads breeding and pricing to sell. Albidus is the new 'want' now and the new Rolls Royce!

Very true about the prices of Goshawks, sadly AI has made it so easy for Goshawks to be bred putting them in the same league as Harris's. I reckon in a year or 2 they will be the same price or as near as dam it. it won't change until there is some sort of regulation in breeding and breeders having to pay an annual fee for the privilege of breeding and selling hawks n falcons. I know things are tight enough for people buying hawks and every other BOP but the main point should be making BOP expensive enough to ensure people are less likely to play about and look after their birds. it should also be law about Telemetry being a necessity to fly a BOP, there are far too many Harris's and other birds lost each year due to it being seen as way to expensive to buy Telemetry to hunt a bird that costs maybe twice as much or more than the bird. Sadly it has and will become more of a battle for how cheap folks will sell hawks and who they will sell them too to ensure the get a bit of cash rather than thinking about the welfare of the bird.

DEFRA/AH should step up to the plate to ensure that breeding is done not only correctly but sensibly. All non native birds should have to be registered and rung including hybrids to ensure that there is some sort of check and register of how many birds are being bred and sold, it will put prices up but so what as long as it helps to sort out the problems within the UK.

Alex

Edited by AlBrown
  • 3 weeks later...

There is also the possible if you load more pressure and expense on harris hawk breeders, that find it hard to cover their costs as it is they will just open the aviary doors and let the breeding birds go because no one will take them on, which would make the problem even worse. Economics will cut in eventually given it cost more to produce harris hawks then you can make back by selling them and when people stop breeding them the price will go up. A gross over simplification I know but somewhere near the truth.

Very true about the prices of Goshawks, sadly AI has made it so easy for Goshawks to be bred putting them in the same league as Harris's. I reckon in a year or 2 they will be the same price or as near as dam it. it won't change until there is some sort of regulation in breeding and breeders having to pay an annual fee for the privilege of breeding and selling hawks n falcons. I know things are tight enough for people buying hawks and every other BOP but the main point should be making BOP expensive enough to ensure people are less likely to play about and look after their birds. it should also be law about Telemetry being a necessity to fly a BOP, there are far too many Harris's and other birds lost each year due to it being seen as way to expensive to buy Telemetry to hunt a bird that costs maybe twice as much or more than the bird. Sadly it has and will become more of a battle for how cheap folks will sell hawks and who they will sell them too to ensure the get a bit of cash rather than thinking about the welfare of the bird.

DEFRA/AH should step up to the plate to ensure that breeding is done not only correctly but sensibly. All non native birds should have to be registered and rung including hybrids to ensure that there is some sort of check and register of how many birds are being bred and sold, it will put prices up but so what as long as it helps to sort out the problems within the UK.

Alex

Alex

Maybe if folk that claimed to breed birds, took deposits and failed to deliver were forced to stop breeding, or even banned from keeping birds, it would be a lot better. Eh Alex?

Guys goshawks are going the same way up here in Scotland,this year it's been easier to buy a gos than it is a Harris hawk.

Couldn't agree more Happyhawker :thumbs:. remember having this conversation with some breeders a few years ago the way the Goshawks was going with none of them being in agreement, I would think that theirs views have now changed somewhat looking at the past two seasons and the way the market has been flooded.........

• 2 weeks later...

whats a gos go for now?

i paid 700 for a harris years back i think gos's were 2000 to 3000 at the time

and i had a female spar for 300

i could see how it was going with harris's back then ,the world and his mate were flying harris and breeding them when they didnt have a fecking clue what they were doing

fella down the road had a pair of males that jst fecking screamed from morning to night

crazy

whats a gos go for now?

i paid 700 for a harris years back i think gos's were 2000 to 3000 at the time

and i had a female spar for 300

i could see how it was going with harris's back then ,the world and his mate were flying harris and breeding them when they didnt have a fecking clue what they were doing

fella down the road had a pair of males that jst fecking screamed from morning to night

crazy

seen them advertised £400 males - £800 females :icon_eek:. All of mine went to people I know who will fly them, it doesn't bother me just as long as they went to good homes :thumbs:....

its crazy how many people are breeding them now and really havn't really done the homework first, sad really as a Goshawk was pride of place in the falconers mews........

Wait until October time when all these imprinted goses have been brought down to flying weight,people will be giving them away...

already happening there was one for sale or swop on here the otherday due to neibours complaining about the noise :cray: