Hello iv seen some DVD's & herd people say that stalking in england that you do not gralloch the deer when shot.My question is what is your fraze to gralloch/gut them & 2nd why not gralloch within 5/10min's of shooting.I have worked with quality assured venison for human food chain & never had prob's keeping carcase clean even bled & gralloched.On the DVD's some of the deer are bloated as they look to have been left 30min's/1hr or so.Dont want this to be taken bad just curious as to know your reason's for this.

Hello iv seen some DVD's & herd people say that stalking in england that you do not gralloch the deer when shot.My question is what is your fraze to gralloch/gut them & 2nd why not gralloch within 5/10min's of shooting.I have worked with quality assured venison for human food chain & never had prob's keeping carcase clean even bled & gralloched.On the DVD's some of the deer are bloated as they look to have been left 30min's/1hr or so.Dont want this to be taken bad just curious as to know your reason's for this.

Think you may have heard about the minority rather than the majority. :hmm: Full graollch occurs in the field asap in my book. :thumbs-up:

I don't think it's an English thing V-max. I was stalking sika near Peebles earlier this year and both stalkers took the deer off the hill before the gralloch back at the larder. The argument being that leaving the stuff on the hill makes the remaining deer jumpy and less likely to come out in the same area for a good while with all the blood and scent around. In addition, the carrion eaters attracted to it may clock the stalking party the next day or so and mess up the stalk.

Anyone else got any thoughts/experiences???

Hi V-max , gralloching is always done immediately in my book , but I have been on estates where the keeper waits til back at the larder for gralloching, maybe so as not to leave grallochs littered about the countryside in this day and age where joe public is always knocking about.

Hi V-max , gralloching is always done immediately in my book , but I have been on estates where the keeper waits til back at the larder for gralloching, maybe so as not to leave grallochs littered about the countryside in this day and age where joe public is always knocking about.

I would agree with that Foxy, In the age where nothing can actually die naturaly and be lying on the hill or things like livestock cant be buryed but wild animals can and dont need burying.

Think what people are trying to say Baz is that people take grallochs home to save any hastle with stuff getting found and lying around.

gralloching is always done immediately in my book

Mine too - all straight away as soon as the beast is picked up.

I could understand a slight delay if the beast had to be carried off in a hurry for one reason or another ;) :whistle: but as soon as possible when you are on the right side of the fence is preferable.

OTC

Hello & cheer's for input interesting thought's on this & yes like you say fox joe puplic.I have alway's gralloched after shot & now a day's on my own permission take every thing out other than kidney/liver as i dont want it at home.I have had the luck of seasonal work on some big deer forest's with a cull 100/150 stag's & 500/600 hind's & roe & all gralloched after shot.Once i have completed my gralloch i seperate intesstine's from stomach find a dip/hole etc in the gound & put it in there & i slash open gut & tip content's over the rest to cover them a bit or camoflage a bit.I some time's cover if i can with earth or moss etc & on the deer forest's this never seem to affect the deer behaviour other than walker's of there track's that deer were used to.Ok for an estate if you got the fasilaty's to grallloch at lerder but at home no way.